iphone salvage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Flipzter, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Co-worker was explaining today that her daughter dropped her iphone into sink with running water and it got wet. Would not turn on. Took it to the local AT&T office and of course it's not warranty damage so she bought a new one. I called daughter and told her I want the old phone and she's supposed to send it with her mom in the next few days. She said it didnt go under water, just water running in from the faucet splashed onto it.

Any chance of getting it to work? Failing that, any parts I can salvage from it? I have an Ipod touch 1g now so I know parts wont interchange, except the hd.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I guess you can always get the couple tools or so you need to open it up and have a look. There are some good step by step guides with pics on the net.
  3. spikey911

spikey911 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    No, the parts won't interchange, and there is no hard drive in either of them.

If your technically inclined, its best to take the phone apart and disconnect the battery.. Then submerge all parts in pure alcohol, you can get this at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.. DO NOT use rubbing alcohol as it contains water..

This will flush all the moisture out of the boards and connectors... Then simply let it dry..

If you are not technical, you can put it in a container with rice for a few days, however this method is not advisable because it can leave deposits from the water on the board and connectors, and it may cause issues.
  4. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    tyeped hd, meant flash drive. But yeah, I will try the alcohol trick and see what happens. Worst case, it still wont power on and I will find something to do with the drive.
  5. sotaku22

sotaku22 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Rice worked great for my friend. let it sit in rice, plugged it into her computer and BOOM it worked.
  6. KeenanG

KeenanG New Member

If there is a bit of water damage in the screen itself, will rice remove this?
  7. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Co-workers daughter called today and told me she doesnt have the iphone that got wet. She said the guy at the at&t store gave her a $30 "cash credit" for the old phone towards her new phone. She said he literally pulled the 30 out of his pocket. Rather pissed me off. I told her he was basically keeping the phone for 1. his own use or 2. resale on ebay or to another customer etc. Wanted to tell her to go back and get my phone, but I dont know her that well lol.

So, now for a new question: Can someone just say they lost their iphone and buy another for $200? Or is the 200 only promotional when you sign 1 or 2 year contract?