iphone-root-fs.tar (279MB) on my Touch, why ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by stratocaster2006, Jan 28, 2008.

1. stratocaster2006

stratocaster2006 New Member

I have a 16gb Touc running in 1.1.2, jailbroken and running fine with 4 pages of apps, now around 5mb free in the root partition.

I was looking at the different directories in my jailbroken 1.1.2 Touch through winscp, and in the /private/var directory there is a file called "iphone-root-fs.tar". This file is about 279MB big, so it seems to be a backup of my complete root partition (but not a complete backup since /dev and /etc are not included).

Does anyone know where this is coming from ? Is it the remnant of the previous 1.1.2 jailbrake ? Can I just remove this file (this would save some space) ?

If I should not remove this file, can you give me a reason ? I'm UNIX aware and know my way around the basics of OSX, but not very familiar with the implementation in the Touch yet.
  2. ScottB

ScottB New Member

I dont see any similar file in my /private/var fs. This has to be a left over from the JB. Should be fine to delete. No tar file is "doing anything" anyway other than taking up space.