iPhone Repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PieOPah, Aug 17, 2009.

1. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hi,

I have sent my iPhone off for repair today due to the Wifi being a problem (rarely finds access points and when it does, it will quickly lose them).

So, what am I to expect back from Apple?

Will I get the same phone back repaired?
    Will I get a different refurbished phone?
    Will I get a new phone?
    Will I get an upgraded phone (from 3G to 3GS)?

I had to take the phone to a local O2 store as the closest Apple shop is too far for me!

Thanks,
  2. sayma3

sayma3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hey, I'm in a situation where I don't know whether to take it to an apple store or to O2. What did they say when you took it into the O2 store? I live near Blackpool but may go to Manchester Apple store if there's a better chance of getting a new phone. I have the white screen of death, which O2 repairs might not be as familiar with as Apple are, so may try to repair for it to only happen again, whereas Apple may just give a new phone...

What exactly is a refurbished phone? and how does it differ from a brand new phone?
  3. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    When I first had my problem, I called O2 - they bassically went through the standard things to try (power off and on, replace sim, reset network settings, restore etc. - all of which I had done). They then pointed my to the apple Knowledge Base which told me the same thing. Finally they gave me the number to call Apple Support directly.

After recounting my tale to Apple Support, they basically told me to send it in for repair - their system was down at the time so they were unable to get me a courier sent out. Instead, I called O2 back and they said I could either arrange to have it sent back to Apple or I could take it to an O2 store who would send it back to apple. I also had the choice of taking it to an Apple store but the closest to me was too far!

A refurbished phone is basically a second hand phone that has been sent back for one reason or another and has been repaired - a refurbished phone is almost as good as new (except pre-owned!)
  4. sayma3

sayma3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ok, and were you told any benefit of taking it to an apple store instead of letting O2 deal with it? And do you know where O2 send it? Is it their repair center which deals with it or do they send it to Apple?
  5. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    AFAIK, if you take it into an Apple Store you can get it replaced there and then (I would probably phone ahead to be sure). I also believe that O2 send the unit to the Apple Repair Centre.
  6. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, I have just called the O2 store and they have told me that they are going to charge me £140 if I want my phone repaired. Apparently it was dropped and as a result they won't even look at it without a cost as it is now out of Warranty. Total BS. Now it would seem, my only option is to take the 1 hour drive to my closest Apple Store to see what they say!