iPhone Release Day Pickup by Minor Under Family Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iforget, Jun 19, 2010.

1. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    There's a family plan in a parent/guardian's name with a minor's name added through AT&T's site. The minor goes to the Apple store at 7am with his or her debit card, SSN, and ID. Any foreseeable problems for a 16/17 year old?
  2. iLucky

iLucky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Uh. I think you need the person who has the account with you. Not 100% sure though.
  3. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the SSN must be of the primary holder of the account. and only the primary holder can give the SSN.
  4. Manny05

Manny05 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    exactly ^^
    although my sister went and called me and i told her the ssn of the account and she was able to upgrade just fine.
    however, her name on her phone line wasnt there..she had to go att.com and put it on there..
  5. Gman1209

Gman1209 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Youll have to ask the apple store the minor is going to. I chatted with 6 apple experts on the website. Half of them said the primary account holder must be present, the other half said as long as the minor is an authorized user(through at&t website), has an ID, the last 4 digits of the primary account holders ssn, and some type of payment method. So it all depends on your apple store.

Also make sure to ask if a minor can purchase it at all. Ive read around and some say you need to be at least 18 because something about signing the new 2 year contract. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Ill be going to my nearest apple store before the 24th to make sure an authorized user can purchase an iphone 4 without the primary account holder present.
  6. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Good choice, Gman. Apparently, a couple of calls have been made so far by the person for whom I'm posting this. He'll have to check it out himself, then

Please Register or Log in to view images

I heard the safest bet is to have the minor camp out (if the area is nice enough to permit that safely) and then have the primary account holder show up at ~7am to sign everything off.
  7. dustinlenguyen

dustinlenguyen Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^ That's what I'll be doing. I'm camping out the night before (if they allow that) and having my mom show up at around 6:50a just to be sure.
  8. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Good plan, man! You should be fine camping out, quite honestly, if you look like an older teenager I couldn't fathom anybody giving you trouble.
  9. Nomar1245

Nomar1245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    That's not true. My phone is in my dads name, I went and got upgrades twice without him. I just used his SSN. And both times, my name wasn't even on the account.
  10. iforget

iforget Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It seems like what's true for one store with a certain Genius might not be true for all. It's good to know that it at least isn't futile to bring the owner's SSN and fight for it though!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I just checked with an Apple rep at a local store. Apparently, having the SSN, billing zip code, etc. is good enough. Can you say conflicting information?