iphone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DZL1, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DZL1

DZL1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm interested in purchasing an iphone, but I went to the AT&T store today and they said that my bill would go up $30.00 additional for data plan. Now I currently have service through AT&T but was wondering if I purchase an iphone on e-bay, for example, and then I unlock the iphone would I still be charged the additional $30.00 for data? I understand that that charge is for THEIR network usage. I can use my wifi network and not get charged as far as data goes. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for any and all help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    someone told me they can tell if you dont have the $30 plan and they will charge you. but im not sure.
  3. DZL1

DZL1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes I heard the same thing. I hope that someone could clarify this for me or anybody else that has any doubts. Thanks for your reply.

DZL1.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I was on an at+t plan a little over a year ago.

I had a cheap ass GoPhone that I asked them to add a data plan onto; they did without asking and it was the $20 / month plan.

The only time I had an issue was switching to a 3G (previous iPhone was a 2G). As soon as I started using the 3G network at+t sent me multiple texts and emails telling me to call them; basically they wanted me to pay for the 3G plan and also sign a two year contract. I hate contracts and I am sure I could have worked around that but decided that I was done with at+t (sh*tty customer service) and I switched to T-Mobile.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

EDGE data plans cost $20/mo. 3G data plans cost $30/month. I don't know why the previous poster seems upset by this very public knowledge. Ridiculous.

It's not as if Apple were out to get him, or was plotting to raise his fees. The truth is that Apple had very good customer service in allowing the poster to use the 3G network that he clearly was not paying for. They simply requested that he contact them.

To the OP. If you don't sign up for the data plan (do you have a choice? I really don't know.), then you will pay a ridiculous amount of money, as you will be paying per kb downloaded. And these charges will add up very quickly, as lots of applications access the internet.

You're really much better off just signing into the data plan.
  6. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    When I first got my 2g I unlocked it and used my old AT&T phone plan with it, AT&T figured out and canceled my data and call recievj g so I got an official plan
  7. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I am not one to argue with people especially you Skylar.

I was not upset with Apple at all and there are a lot of underlying circumstances that I did not mention about my dealings with at+t. I was an at+t customer for a little more than a year and had numerous bad experiences with them; I'd be happy to give details but I don't think it really matters.

I was hoping to give the original poster another option; it may not be morally correct but it was an option. I know now that if I had turned 3G off I could use the data plan I had and it would not have been a problem.
  8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The post read as if you were solely calling out AT&T for bad customer service due to the fact that you didn't want to pay for 3G. If there were other factors that you didn't mention, then I owe you an apology.
  9. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I'm sure it was evident I was not in the best mood when writing my first post and sorry for the less than helpful information.

I know that the 3G usage costs extra and I can understand at&t wanting their money for the 3G network. I was actually planning to stay with them and pay the $30 but I didn't like the fact that they wanted me on a contract. I finally had enough and switched to T-Mobile. I will admit that I was trying to use something without paying for it and got "caught".

I was trying to share my experience with my data plan(s) and at&t. I am not certain but to try and help out the original poster: you should be able to use the iPhone solely as a phone without a data plan. However, if at&t wants you to pay for an iPhone plan there may not be much you can do. I was able to get away with using an iPhone on a GoPhone account and later on a normal account without any problems but I did my best to hide the fact that I was using an iPhone.