Iphone question from Ipodtouch user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dragomer, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Dragomer

Dragomer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I am really wanting an Iphone, but not really for the phone aspect. I am currently with verizon and perfectly happy with them. However, I would love to be able to have the iphone and only use the data on it. I know that there is not an option to do this with the 3g Iphone. What about with the original Iphone?

What is the cheapest way I could get an Iphone with unlimited/ or alot of data coverage?
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I was on Verizon as well and I miss them. The iPhone is awesome, but the GSM service (at least in my area) is not as good as the CDMA (Verizon).

Regardless I opted to do the iPhone and suffer the less coverage.

I had a Pre Pay plan (GoPhone) with AT+T to start with and I liked that option. At the time they had unlimited data and it worked fine with the iPhone. Once AT+T did away with the unlimited data I decided to go with a regular plan (I think AT+T now offers 100MB with the GoPhone for $20).

The regular plan worked fine with the 2G; I had unlimited data and enough voice and texts to keep me happy. As soon as I switched to the 3G AT+T wanted more money and was going to charge me (per kilobyte) for using the 3G on a regular plan. Also, they would not add the 3G to my plan without doing a contract.

I have since switched to T-Mobile with my 3G. I have plenty of minutes and unlimited texts. I opted for the 100MB of data and have not gone over that (I don't think they catch all the usage but I do a lot on WiFi). Also if I go over the most they will charge me in addition for the data is $15.

Not sure if that answers your question but that is what I have seen.
  3. Dragomer

Dragomer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I really wish ATT still offered the unlimited data plan with the go phones because I would go get a first gen Iphone today haha!

I really want to stay with verizon. There coverage is nice, pricing is a little steep, but o well. My girlfriend and I are locked in for two years on our family plan so I'm not about to pay the early termination fee.

The main thing I want is an Iphone with unlimited data and nothing else. I do not care about calling or texting because my verizon phone handles all my "in" call and texting, and my Ipod touch handles all the other texts and calls.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt 100mb not alot of bandwidth for browsing? Are there any other options?

Being a college student and working full time I'm on the go alot so internet wherever I go is really important to me.

I forgot to mention that 3G is not available in my area only edge.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I would likewise go back to a GoPhone plan if AT+T still offered the unlimited data.

You are right that 100MB is not a lot of data but I don't do extensive surfing with my phone but I still use it a lot for Maps, Mail, GPS, and occasionally surfing. I would have thought that I have used more than I have but according to T-Mobile I have only used about 20MB for that past month! I am not sure if T-Mobile doesn't see everything I am using or what but so far 100MB has been great for me (plus it includes unlimited texts).

Before I did the iPhone thing I had an iPod touch and I know it took a lot of work but there were people using their iPod touch with a Verizon phone via the wireless system. That was also when the iPot's fist came out and I'm not sure if it is still possible, but it might be an option for you.

Also, I hat to start rumors but I would bet money that Apple will release a CDMA iPhone eventually. Granted it might be a few more years but it is bound to happen.

Wish I could be more help!