iPhone, question about updating.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by APV, Jul 19, 2009.

1. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I just got an iPhone from someone and they had it registered under AT&T, they took out the sim before I bought it from them, If I restore the iPhone so all the media is deleted, then update to 3.0, will it plague me with messages asking me to activate it with AT&T or will it just let me go on to where I can jailbreak it and unlock it and make it run on t-mobile... ?????????

I am just wondering, and before you play the card saying I stole it, go ask the nurse who now has a blackberry who I bought it from. Just to clarify. and craigslist isnt a bad place if you know what you're doing. So, anyone got any answers?
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The device should function normally without being activated (save for phone calls, SMS, and cellular data, of course). It will work like an iPod touch. If you want to unlock and go T-Mobile, go ahead.
  3. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Thanks for the reply!
  4. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hmm usually if you restore the iPhone it will NOT work until you activate it.. I did it with an old 2G that a friend wanted to use as an iPod.. But maybe I am wrong
  5. royalblue

royalblue Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    it doesn't matter if you restore, cause you can just jailbreak it in itr's 'activate' state
  6. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Well no, I thought the lady said she took the sim card but I guess she meant that she canceled the account, I still have the sim card in the iPhone, so when I went to restore it worked flawlessly. I wont be able to hook it up to tmobile anyway for a month until I get back home (out of state) and I dont want to set it up with the wrong area code.

So anyways thanks for the help.

I love the iPhone! it is so much cooler than the iPod touch, it even has a camera!

iPod touch fans should change the options though for what device you have, because I'm going to modify mine with a replacement red housing I ordered, it would be cool if I could select that I have a red iPhone... http://www.ecaseshop.com/red-iphone-3g-back-cover-for-8gb-apple-iphone.html
  7. royalblue

royalblue Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    Those housings are really cheap. I had one for a phone a long time ago and it broke really easily. They could be different now but I don't think things change much with the Chinese.
  8. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If your out of state you can still get a cheap prepaid T-Mobile sim card, activate it and do the free Internet thing. There's a thread on it in the section.
  9. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Nah, I am waiting until I go back to maine so it has the right area code thing.

And you say that the housings are cheap royalblue? Awe...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Well I would get a protective case for it anyways, I am also getting a replacement glass screen+digitizer and a replacement chromed bezel, along with the replacement red housing, it is costing me more than $80. the glass and digitizer are expensive.

But anyways, this is what the red one looks like, http://www.ecaseshop.com/article_info.php?articles_id=2 and, well, the back scratched up way to easily with my ORIGINAL housing, so I don't really care about this one...