Iphone Question 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by r3dn1t3, Jun 20, 2008.

1. r3dn1t3

r3dn1t3 New Member

About the 3G phone, Yay! Its finally being released in Australia! Now heres my question, if I jailbreak the phone can I use another phone service ie Telstra

Secondly, if I buy from the apple store, do I have to activate it there?

Thankyou for your time.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    There is no jailbreak for the new firmware yet. It has been said the phone must be activated before you leave the store.

3. mrgas2004

mrgas2004 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    apples and at&t's new rule is that it must be activated in store.
  4. r3dn1t3

r3dn1t3 New Member

thankyou for your time. I forgot to mention there is no at&t in australia. There is only vodaphone, optus, and some rumor about telstra. How can at&t enforce that rule here?
  5. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Apple enforce the rule not the Carrier, they have learned from the mistakes of the original iPhone. To make money from the device they need people to sign up for the 18 month carrier contract because Apple gets back a percentage of the total contract value. Estimates for the original iPhone suggest around 40% of handsets were never linked to a contract (ie they were jailbroken and used with a personal sim)which means Apple lost money on those handsets. With the new 3g iPhone they make it seem cheaper (ie $199 dollers for the handset and $70 dollar per month for 18 month contract) but really you are paying the extra through the contract rather then up front for the handset.

Nobody knows if 2.0 can or will be Jailbroken, so the 3g iPhone as far as we know can only be used on contract anyway.
  6. r3dn1t3

r3dn1t3 New Member

How fast do you think a new jailbreak will come out for the 3g iphone?

Did it happen fast for 1.1.4 and beforehand?
  7. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Considering that old beta's (some) of 2.0 have been jailbroken maybe they wont take too long to jailbreak the new one.
  8. r3dn1t3

r3dn1t3 New Member

What your saying applies to every other country but Australia, where they have one carrier, in Australia APPARENTLY there are 3 carriers offering the iPhone. What I am busting my head about is if I walk into the apple store on the 11th or after, I say I want an iPhone, here you go! Will they try and bind me to a network or say it only works with these 3 carriers.
  9. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It may not take very long, or may take some time. It really depends, but we just need to wait and see. Earlier builds of Firmware 2.0 have been jailbroken, but the Firmware 2.0 to be publicly released has yet to be jailbroken.