iPhone OS 4.0 wishlist

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by _JKK_, Nov 2, 2009.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    So, in about 6 months, the next major iteration of the iPhone OS (probably 4.0) will be revealed (I'm guessing around March; they usually beta test the x.0 releases pretty extensively).

What is the point for this?
    I have an email address to Steve Jobs that he has replied to me before (on the subject of Bluetooth in the iPod touch 1G, remember that?). I'll send this to him when the ideas start to repeat.

To get me to add them to the list faster, PM me or give a visitor message. That is the fastest way. Otherwise, post them here.

After all, this is a wishlist, however try to keep it to likely things.

I'll start:

• Speed: This is something that could be achieved by some simple UI adjustments, for example instituting an SBSetting-like application, for turning WiFi on/off quicker.
    • App Categories: Why can't Apple understand that an iPod with 30 apps is a jumbled mess? The home screen needs better mangement of icons.
    • (iPod touch 3G/ 2G maybe) FM radio: The hardware is there; we want radio.
    • (iPod touch 3G) Wireless N support: The hardware is there, let's get the software supported.
    • (iPod touch 2G/ 3G, as well as iPhone models) Upgraded Bluetooth support: Why is it locked down, Apple?

Other ideas, submitted by users.
    • Landscape springboard: Ability to use the Springboard in landscape mode.
    • Wireless Syncing: Wirelessly sync your iTunes library/ information.
    • Improved bluetooth compatibility: Connect to Bluetooth devices (phones, etc...)
    • Improved Voice Control: Ability to launch apps using Voice Control.
    • Spotlight Toggle: Toggle to turn Spotlight search on/off.
    • Efficient Code: Improve speed and overall stability.
    • New Default Apps: Rework the Stocks, Maps, Weather, etc. apps, making them more refined and useful. More info on pg. 6.
    • Syncing with computer via Bluetooth: Sync your iTunes via Bluetooth.

Got more? Post them, and I'll add them here.

See people? Pretty simple. Be realistic. And keep on subject. Please.
    And 'No,' I'm not the new Cam. I'm just interested in others opinions on this one, since there aren't many glaring omissions in the firmware this time.
  2. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Maybe allow you to have more apps and pages than 11?

Edit: Wait a second! No blender? THAT CAN'T BE POSSIBLE! I WANT MY BLENDER!!!
  4. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Whats a "Blender"?

i agree with all that, especially the speed and categories
  5. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yes. No blender. Dun Dun DUN!

And you can add that, just post it. If you can do it in bullet form, that'd be great. But if not... Ok.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    You are over-thinking it.

A food processor? It cuts food down, by utilizing a spinning blade in the bottom.
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I want 4.0 to be a gigantic bug fix. 3.X.X is one of the buggiest firmwares I have ever used. 2.X was so much better. Device heating up and battery dying WAY faster after turning on Wifi and turning off. Seriously? Thats why I'm always afraid of turning on Wifi on my iPod touch and I don't do it much anymore.

Many UI glitches. As in, sometimes the black status bar from the video player will stay in the Video.app when I press home and go back to Video.app. Alphabet letter bar thing sometimes shows in Podcast and sometimes doesn't (Mostly doesn't) MAKE UP YOUR MIND 3.X.X. I personally like the alphabet thingy.

Touch Screen stops sensing touch when watching video. Seriously. This is one major annoyance to me. Sometimes when I watch a video, the touch screen will suddenly turn off it's sensitivity. Forcing me to have to go back to the home screen and go back to the video. This means I can't pause, skip, FF/WW, Zoom, or even leave the video without pressing Home.
  7. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Landscape Springboard
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Some of the bugs in 3.x.x are quite annoying. The battery life is also horrible. My 3GS dies so fast it's pathetic. Apple needs to fix some of the damn bugs.
  9. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Thank you Tes, Mo, and Stick Man.

@Tes: I agree in all of your points except that 2.0 wasn't this bad... Are you talking about 2.0 (specifically?) or 2.2.1? Because 2.0 was terrible.
  10. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    A couple of requests:
    1) Tethering: For the iPhone, whether or not there is a software update needed or if AT&T can just turn it on already...
    2) Landscape springboard and all other native apps EXCEPT an option in Settings to turn it off individually for apps. For instance an option to turn it off in safari if you're surfing the web in bed (upside down) or something.