iPhone OS 4.0 coming this March?

Discussion in 'Apple Discussions, Rumours and Speculation' started by MuckYu, Feb 18, 2010.

1. MuckYu

MuckYu Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Someone anonymous said that "the iPhone OS 4.0 is expected to be released in the last week of March".

The iPad will ship in the same time.

The iPhone 4G will probably be released in June at this years Apple conference.
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    This is all common expectance. Apple always releases a new iPhone every summer, we were told when the iPad will be shipped. 4.0 smells like bullsh*t.
  3. Aodhan97

Aodhan97 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    haha, so true what happened to apples creativity
  4. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

um, probably a beta 4.0, but never the actual public release of 4.0
  5. MuckYu

MuckYu Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    as far as I know demo on march 14th
  6. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Why March 14?
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Why is it bullsh*t? They will obviously release it and it will be a major update. How can you assume it's bullsh*t without knowing what is has? 2.0 was great! 3.0 was not that great of an update, so chances are 4.0 will be amazing as 2.0.
  8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well, I'm guessing you weren't around for 2.0 (but you just heard that the App Store came in 2.0), but...

iPhone OS 2.0 was extremely buggy; yes, it did bring the App Store, but it almost made the device unusable (constant reboots, slowdowns, laggy performance), and the third party apps that came with the App Store caused just as many slowdowns and the need to reboot.

Compared to 2.0, 3.0 was much better.

But honestly, I do see 4.0 as being a very good firmware version; Apple has no choice but to innovate somewhere (the UI, etc) with competitors like Windows Phone 7 Series, Android, and especially Palm's webOS encroaching on Apple's biggest head up (at least in quality of apps): the App Store. Palm has almost every game that Apple is getting (even from developers that got their boost from the App Store, like Gameloft).

Apple needs to do something, because Windows Phone 7 Series (despite its terrible name) is a big competitor, regardless of whether the majority of Apple users want to admit it, if only because of how Microsoft's mentality has changed (plus their incredibly deep pockets don't hurt them much either).

Microsoft is paying attention not just to Fred the I.T. Consultant, but regular people, who want to update their Facebook, Tweet, watch some YouTube videos, and maybe jot down some notes periodically. Yes, Apple makes it extremely easy for them to do that, but so does Windows Phone 7 (from the looks of it, anyways).

However, I can see Apple breaking away from their tradition of updating their OS with a major upgrade only when they release a new iPhone, if only to beta test it on existing users, to work out the bugs, to iron out the kinks in the firmware. You can't tell me that a (potentially) big overhaul of the UI would work out where there aren't any bugs, where everything just sails along smoothly.

So yeah, I think we'll be seeing some indications of 4.0 pretty quick, followed by an event showcasing some of the features, with a release to iPhone developers pretty quick after that. Could this co-exist with the iPad release? Why not. The version of iPhone OS that they showed on the iPad (3.2) didn't look complete to me, with some of the UI decisions being ridiculous.

Either way, only time will tell.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. xxhorseriderxxx

xxhorseriderxxx Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    2.0 was a great update 'cause Jailbreakers gave apple the original idea for the 2.0 update. Apple's 2.0 and 3.0 updates never added anythin' really special other than genus and push. Honestly, what more could the iPhone OS need to offer that it already doesn't other than the Jailbreak apps? A homescreen background, or easy toggles? We've already had that through Jailbreak. I don't think I'll update to 4.0 unless I really need to.
  10. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Well, I actually had 2.0 on my 1G after i did the paid update 2 years ago. I didn't have any of the mentioned problems and I jailbroke for the first time on 2.2.1.

Now 3.0 is obviously superior to 2.0, but i meant that 2.0 gave you much more for what you paid for. In 3.0, all my 1G really got was copy and paste and Spotlight (and slower performance and worse battery life). Now my 3G gets the Bluetooth functions, too.

And yes, Apple must make 4.0 a great update.

They need:
    • UI improvement/change
    • More multitasking support. All the default apps can multitask, but not AppStore apps
    • Something like SBSettings. It's very useful for doing things like adjusting brightness or Wi-Fi inside a game.
    • Unlocked FM radio and 802.11n Wi-Fi
    • Better battery life
    • New features that no one ever thought of