iPhone OS 2.0 includes location tracking!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by touchhacker101, Apr 5, 2008.

1. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Great news for iphone (and itouch possibly??):

A pre-release build of iPhone OS 2.0, currently in the hands of select developers and beta testers, includes a new live location tracking feature that will automatically track the user’s current location in the Maps application on a persistently updating basis. So, for instance, driving down Broadway in New York with an iPhone would result in a constantly moving blue, pulsing ball indicating your current location. This makes the iPhone’s “Locate Me” function feel much more like a real GPS.

At this point the function (along with the entirety of iPhone OS 2.0) is somewhat flaky and slow, but promising.

Source:Iphone Atlas
    http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/04/03/iphone-os-20-includes-live-location-tracking/

Attached Files:

2. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    cool. I hope this works with the ipod. I bet it won't though.
  3. xM45x

xM45x New Member

now i wish i had an iphone

it couldnt work cause we would need wifi and i dont think that would work driving down the street
  4. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    right. Thats what I think. I would have bought an iphone, but I have a CDMA (no sim) cell phone service. =(
    USCC sucks because of that.
  5. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    on the ipod i noticed that when i push the localization button it doesn't pop up "your localization could not be determine" anymore. it just keep searching. Maybe, even if he could locate me, the app would still update in real time the location.