iPhone on TMobile vs. iPhone on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by H3X, Jun 9, 2009.

1. H3X

H3X New Member

Hey. What are the differences between the iPhone on AT&T and the iPhone on TMobile or another carrier that you can unlock it for in terms of price and features.

Also, can you unlock the iPhone 3G on 2.0 or 3.0? Sorry I haven't been here in a while and I need an update.

I'm thinking about buying an iPhone but I'm on another carrier right now and for AT&T the iPhone for 2 years comes out to about $2200 I have heard with everything so there could be a better option. Thanks.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well for one thing, you can't use the iPhone's 3G on T-Mobile.
  3. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    T-Mobile is WIN
  4. H3X

H3X New Member

Can you use the 3G on any carrier besides AT&T?
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sure, in Europe.
  6. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iPhone 3G can be unlocked as long as you are on 2.2 firmware. If you officially updated to 2.2.1 or 3.0, then you are out of luck. What teslanaut means is that even if it was unlocked, EDGE and calls would work fine, but T-Mobile's 3G frequency is different than that of AT&t's and is not compatible with the iPhone 3G.

EDIT: Are you the same guy that made the H3X's Vehicular Pack on the iPhysics game? If you, then I'd like to applaud you.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. H3X

H3X New Member

Haha, yeah, I am. I'm also the one ipodtouchmaster stole his wireless jailbreak idea from back in 1.1.3

Please Register or Log in to view images

But let's say I buy an iPhone 3G unlocked on eBay, then go to the TMobile store and get started with them and get a SIM card (assuming I have no previous contracts or anything with them) would I be saving money? If so, how much?
  8. almostaname

almostaname New Member

theres a baseband downgrader for 2.2.1 people, i guess you could do taht
  9. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I pay $40 for my voice plan and $20 for unlimited data and unlimited messaging. The data plan used to be limited to 100MB but T-Mobile just changed things and it is now unlimited.

Also, despite what people may tell you the T-Zones is not available to new customers. The hack does still work but only if you have had T-Zones for some time and you can't have it added to a new account (I have tried).

Last thing, I got sick of at&t: their customer service is sh*t (IMO). I have been very happy with T-Mobile; some of the representatives are better than others but the few that I have talked with about my iPhone (I usually don't disclose that info to them) have been more than happy to help me out.

The BaseBand downgrade only works with Bootloader 5.08. I have not seen one of these phones for awhile and they are getting harder to find.
  10. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I recommend buying an iPhone off of craigslist (in your area), then using a turbosim since it'll come with 2.2.1 or 3.0 which won't be unlockable any other way.....

It'll cost ($250-$300 for iPhone 3G+$10 for TS) around $310 MAX, unlocked
    then just get a T-Mobile SIM and use that
    You don't have to get a data plan....IMO it's really expensive (but that's cause I'm only 13)