iPhone Not Booting after Permission Change

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Clusterfunk, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Clusterfunk

Clusterfunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hello, I was using iFile, and it was being dumb and not allowing me to change anything, and I figured it was a problem with permissions. So, I opened MobileTerminal and typed "chmod -R 777 /", which basically changed the permissions to every file on the phone to 777.

Anyway, I rebooted. Now it is stuck at the Apple logo. Normally, I would just restore, however, I am out of town and don't have my primary computer with me. Is there anyway to reset this problem using some sort of SSH over USB application that I can use to change this? I can't restore from backup, and therefore will have no contacts etc. I didn't think it would screw this up so much, but apparently I was wrong. DFU restore seems like my only option. I have all the necessary backup files on my PC at home, which I can access over VNC, but I don't think I can save files over VNC (can I?).

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

soz, but that means u made every picture, plist, and text file an executable, and would take a loooong time to fix, restore is probably your only option
  3. mohitd2000

mohitd2000 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    wow......... I didn't think that could happen, the apple boot logo was the same thing that happened to me when I was on 2.2.1 and tried to download Supreme Prefs 3.0. Restore