iPhone newbie - question about itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by K98, Mar 29, 2009.

1. K98

K98 New Member

I just bought a 2g iPhone. It is jailbroken and unlocked. I popped my sim in and it works great. The iPhone I am guessing, is linked to the previous owners itunes?

My question is, how do I link it to my itunes without messing everything up. Can I even use itunes even though it is jailbroken and unlocked? Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated! I have a bunch of apps that I purchased through itunes for the touch. Can i link the iPhone to itunes so that I can use those?

Thanks for any help!
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The only thing you don't want to do via iTunes is update the iPhone. If you do you will lose the unlock and the jailbreak. As it is now the 2G is not very hard to fix if you do accidently update it (that is at least the case for now).

As far as putting your stuff onto the iPhone you need to sync the two together. I prefer to do this all manually so that the iPhone only syncs what I tell it to but to each their own. I believe when you sync it the first time it will mention that the iPhone is currently synced with another computer and by syncing it to the current computer you will lose all the music, videos, etc.. on the iPhone.

Once it is synced to your computer you can move stuff to and from the iPhone. If you plug it into another computer you can add stuff to the iPhone but not from the iPhone to the unsynced computer (if I remember correctly).
  3. K98

K98 New Member

Thank you, thats extremely helpful! I had browsed the forums but because it almost seemed too easy, I wanted to be sure.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Not a problem....

Thats just what I can remember off the top of my head; if you have any problems let us know (or feel free to PM me).
  5. K98

K98 New Member

Almost a success...

It now allows me to copy music to my iphone but I can figure out how to get apps on. It says its syncing the apps, but then nothing shows up?
    It also keeps trying to transfer the apps from my iphone to itunes. (I select that I don't want them to copy and it just does nothing)

It did changeto my proper itunes account on the iphone though.

One thought, does the 5 authorized computer limit extend to ipods as well?
    Because itunes says I have 5 authorized...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Weird, I am able to download the apps directly from the app store. I must be doing something wrong. I guess all is well then!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I haven't messed with apps that much but are the ones you are trying to copy legitimate apps?