iPhone Maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dodgy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Okay, so I was going somewhere the other day and I decided to search it on maps on my phone (using my Wi-Fi at my house).

Then I got in the car and started driving and i decided to go back to the maps app just to see if I was going in the right direction. then suddenly the blue dot pops up and moves as the car moves. so basically working as a sat nav.

Now, I have unlocked my phone and have a Vodafone SIM inserted. I have no internet set up or any data plan...now I just wondering how the hell was the blue dot moving as the car was moving if i don't have any 3G internet or edge. lol.

I know that there was no internet around because if I drove off the map the map wouldn't load up (it would only show what I had loaded up from before using my wi-fi at home)

How was it working? I am so confused? thanks

-iPhone8GB
  2. vilim12

vilim12 New Member

3g has gps
  3. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Even without internet?! I had no idea, why has no one told me?! lol

-iPhone8GB
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It only needs internet to load the maps. So without internet its still kind of useless :/

There are applications in the appstore that sort-of act as GPS navigation. Some even have the maps included so no need for internet.
  5. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Really? Do you know what they're called? thanks

-iPhone8GB
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    G-Map US east and G-Map US west work pretty good. There two separate apps one has the entire map of the east coast US and the other has the west coast and provide turn-by-turn navigation. Not a Garmin but it does the job.

I cant think of the others off hand but you could try searching the "navigation" section of the appstore.
  7. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I live in the UK, lol. Those maps would be useless I tried searching but couldn't find anything for the UK.

Does the GPS work on the OfflineMaps.app from Cydia. I've tried using offline maps before, I don't know how it works, and can't be bothered to learn

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks anyway

-iPhone8GB
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Not sure. Never used it. If you can find and download maps for the UK you could try replacing the US maps in G-Map with those.

I'm not sure if maps offline uses the GPS of the 3G as it was made before the 3G was released.

I did read somewhere that the makers of G-Map are planning on making an app for the UK.