iPhone Linux Support Dropped?

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by Tariomaster, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Tariomaster

Tariomaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Do you think all people working on iPhone Linux stopped working on it and got back to their real lives?
  2. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, I think this will be the dev team's main focus now that they finished the iPhone 3G unlock.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Honestly. What is there to gain from iPhone Linux?

Jailbreaking of the iPhone and iPod Touch (Before 2G and 3G) was about:

• Freeing from Carriers (iPhone)
    • 3rd Party Applications (Both)
    • Ability to modify device software (Both)

Now it is more about:
    • Freeing from Carriers, once again (iPhone 3G/Edge)
    • Jailbreak Applications, however miniscule (Since 3rd Party is huge now with App Store and 2.0)
    • Ability, again, to modify device software (Both)

Its not really much of a challenge anymore. With iPhone Linux, its just work.
  4. Tariomaster

Tariomaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well once iPhone Linux is finished, and builds a good community, I believe that the firmware will be better than the apple OS because the apple OS has restrictions against how many apps per springboard page, and the restriction of jailbraking on every update, and more restrictions like what carrier you can use.

The Dev team must then put time in patch the restrictions on the firmware so they/you can do whatever you want, which takes time away from making good applications, like Winterboard.

I am hoping iPhone Linux is very amazing, and that it will accelerate the jailbrake community Application support tremendously.
  5. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Take a look at Linux today. Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, etc. How long did it take those OS' to get the way they are today? Its going to take quite a long time for "iPhone Linux" to surpass the iPhone OS. I mean, take a look at Android. Its just... Sitting there. Barely even doing anything.

And who is doing that right now? No one. Right now, iPhone Linux is all CLI. Which needs to be controlled via a Computer through USB. And how long did it take to get there?

I hope it'll be great too. But its just way too much right now. You hope that it'll accelerate the application support, but there is over 10,000 apps on the App Store and iPhone OS already. Its going to take a hell of a long time to reach that plateau.

I'm not saying that iPhone Linux is bad. Its just, its too much on a small plate. Too many resources, too many things to figure out.
  6. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You think that iPhone Linux will be better than the OS that Apple has made?

I think not. Thats like saying a fake iPod touch is better than a real one. Its not!

The fake one is made/developed by probably a couple people, possibly in their spare time (iPhone Linux)

The REAL one is made by multiple teams of hundreds (thousands?) of people, and thats their full time job. (Apple OS)

iPhone Linux will be good, but not brilliant. At least, not for a long time after they have released it, whenever that may be.

Edit: I think I just said the exact same thing Teslanaut said.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. tgluak

tgluak New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I reckon they're doing it because they can. It will probably never surpass the iPhone OS in anyway other than openess.

Tariomaster: Pity your supposed idea about Teslanaut picking his nose is just him saying his finger is bleeding. Isn't it usually the nose that bleeds?
  8. kdb424

kdb424 New Member

What people believe is "better" depends on the person. I think that Linux in general is better than Windows and look at how many apps (programs I guess) it has. I use Mac in general. I love it. I don't find Linux worse just because it's different. I like the fact that it is open source, and as long as that is more so true than Mac and Windows that I ill continue using it. That's just my $.02!
  9. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Quantity in programs does not make an operating system great. Quality in those programs and how the OS can run it efficiently is what makes the OS great.
  10. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But even so, there's so many more developers working with Windows, and so you have many alternatives for that particular type of application. Not trying to start an OS war here, but...