iPhone-like OS on iPad is a GOOD thing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by irishguy3m, Jan 28, 2010.

1. irishguy3m

irishguy3m New Member

A lot of people wanted the iPad to have multi-touch OS X on it and a lot are pissed off because it runs a version of the iPhone OS. I think that is a good thing, though. Think about all the Windows-based tablets that came before. Ever seen anyone use one without giving up on the pen/stylus input and just use the keyboard and mouse? It makes sense that an OS built off a point and click interface would be best used with a keyboard and mouse. If the iPad were just multi-touch Snow Leopard, people wouldn't be able to do anything because using your fingers to "point and click" just doesn't work. It is the same thing as viewing an unoptimized website on the iPhone - you have to zoom in and be careful to tap what u want to tap. Perhaps Apple could have used an OS that was more powerful than the iPhone OS, but optimized for multi-touch. Thing is, that would have probably taken a longer time. I'm all for the iPad being open and would jailbreak it if possible, but wanting a tablet with the exact same OS as a full computer just doesn't make sense.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  3. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The problem with the HP Slate is specifically that it is trying to be a laptop though, which is basically what the OP is pointing out. The iPad isn't a laptop, and doesn't try to be one. The Slate isn't really a laptop either, but it's actually trying to be one. I'm not sure what niche it serves, whereas the iPad actually serves a more unique specialized niche.
  4. Touchtacular

Touchtacular New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Exactly. The iPad is a very powerful multimedia device. That's all it is. It's not a laptop, and it's not an iPod. It's a new, slightly less portable multimedia platform that's meant to be ported around the house and on trips and such for casual browsing and work, not to be carried around everywhere with you, or plopped on a desk and left there to collect dust.
  5. irishguy3m

irishguy3m New Member

Thanks for your input.
    I just think this is Apple's way of creating a product that isn't exactly the first of its kind, but that improves the way we work with those devices. Apple realizes that a touch-based device is only helpful when its interface works with touches. I wouldn't want to have to find the smallest part of my finger just to close a window like on that slate, and neither does anyone else.
  6. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Which is why past tablets have failed in the first place. They put the wrong OS on a platform it wasn't designed for.
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I believe iPhone OS was conceived for the iPhone no?
  8. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Good point. Then again Mac OS X Leopard looked like Tiger at first. So they may tweak it by launch. However it is a embedded OS, otherwise they wouldn't have used it, and they need the backwards compatibility.
  9. mattastic

mattastic New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I'm excited for using this at school. Like I something don't want to bring my Macbook to school, and I really LOVE this as an alternative. I can still take notes with it, has my music and videos but it can also support some kick-ass games and a sh*tload of apps. Plus I am really looking forward to this iBook app, and I do hope that they can incorporate my own ebooks into the mix.
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yea, that'd be great. Maybe they'll even add in an 'eBook' section in iTunes in the future

Please Register or Log in to view images