iPhone jailbreaking please help noob

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slash102, Jan 29, 2010.

1. slash102

slash102 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Im experienced with jailbreaking my ipod touch, but i might get an iphone and am not to sure. What does it mean when people talk about basebands, do i have to reactivate my phone once I jailbreak it. please tell me an precautions i should have, thanks
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The baseband is also know as the "Modem Firmware" and it is basically just that: it is the software that the modem uses to connect to the cellular carrier.

How things are right now with an iPhone running the latest firmware, 3.1.2, and the latest baseband, 5.11.07; you can do pretty much everything (a jailbreak and an unlock) without activating the iPhone at all. Blackra1n will "hactivate" it if need be or if you are on a legitimate carrier you can run blackra1n after you've activated the iPhone and you won't have to reactivate it after the process is complete.

My only suggestion as precautions; there will be a new OS for the iPhone out sometime in the future. Be sure you know exactly what you are doing before updating or changing anything on the iPhone or you could be SOL for a while.
  3. slash102

slash102 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ok so if i get a 3gs with 3.1.2 and use blackra1n to jailbreak, i will not need to re activate and will have no problems?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Depending on how new the 3GS is you may have a tethered jailbreak. Regardless, once you have it setup you can run blackra1n to jailbreak it and assuming nothing gets messed up the iPhone will remain the same as it was before.
  5. slash102

slash102 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    there is a message on the 3.1 jailbreaking forum that says, 3gs users, do not jailbreak unless you want to lose your baseband unlock forever, does that mean if i jailbreak, it will be tethered, and i can never unlock if i need another carrier in the future?
  6. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I think that post is very old don't worry about it .. Blackra1n and blacksn0w