iPhone/iPod touch tracker

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by hakk79, Apr 14, 2009.

1. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I kind of thought of this idea on the bus. Now I am sure that everyone knows about those applications on that appstore that send your stolen iPod touches/iPhone's location when someone opens that application?

Well I was thinking...what if you added that function to a REAL APP. Like lets say I had NES on my iPod touch. What if a function was added that allowed NES to function normally BUT also in the background unknown to the user do the following:

A) Turn on my Wifi
    B) Send my iPod touches/iPhones location VIA e-mail?

So if I was a thief, I would probably steal an iPod touch/iPhone. I would slide to unlock, and on the home screen see an application like NES. I go into it and start playing excitedly but unknown to me the iPod touches/iPhones wifi turns on and it's location is sent to the real owner...

Does anyone get what I am saying?
  2. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I know what you mean, I think it has already been done, it's called Top Secret, but it's on the AppStore, so no Background Processes.
  3. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, I know about that. As I said:

Top secret just opens up and displays a picture and sends the email in secret. It has no function. It does not even turn on your Wifi (I think.). Which is why I said incorporate the feature into a REAL application such as NES.
  4. NickGray

NickGray Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Don't know how well it will work, because when ever my ipod asks if it could use my location it usually says im in NY or NJ (I'm near Detroit MI) but once in a great while it will say South Africa or Cambodia or something ridiculous like that.
    So maybe for iPhone with GPS but as for iPod (at least for me) it will send you to a 3rd world country. : /
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why not make it a framework that can be integrated into apps...?
  6. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Then all the iPod theives would know and not open applications

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Why not just have a low-battery process running in the background that sends a location every 10 minutes?
  8. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes! And you can put it in applications that thieves would most likely open (I.E. Music.app)

That was Quasi-low-Jack. It did not come to 2.0.

I wonder if any developer is willing to do this?
  9. killer54291

killer54291 New Member

I really want this. All you need is a process backgrounding, make it a launch daemon that goes after wifi, and just have it send the coordinates given by location services every 10 minutes or something. I'm not an iPhone programmer but that doesn't sound too hard. I'm going to Quebec for a field trip in middle school and this would be really helpful. Could it also send Whois information of the wifi it is connected to? Or just the ip atleast?
  10. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    why start old threads dude...???