iPhone= iPod Touch substitute?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hayntaptap, May 3, 2010.

1. hayntaptap

hayntaptap New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The iPod Touch, basically the iPhone without the "Phone". So I pose the question: "Can The iPhone Be substituted for an iPod Touch?"

In almost every way, The iPhone & the iPod Touch are similar, despite it's use of 3G, making phone calls, video recording capabilities, 3-Megapixel Camera (3GS), and a few other features the iPod Touch doesn't have.

So, does this mean I can use the iPhone [preferably 3GS] mainly for it's iPod-Music-Playing Capabilities?
    Meaning, Is it possible to purchase the 3GS, and terminate the contract for the phone. Will I still be able to use it's other features? Such, as Video Recording, WiFi, Music, etc.
    Although Text, phone calls, and 3G connection, would be out of service, will the iPhone, still be able to be used as an "iPod Touch"? Being, it's other features are still available.

If this is so, I would rather purchase the iPhone 3GS, use it for maybe one month, terminate it's contract, and continue to use it for it's music-playing entertainment. This would come out to alittle, below $300, depending on early termination fees, and variation of cellular plans.

This way, You remain with an iPhone, which you can use basically as an iPod Touch.
    But with this, you have the added 3-MegaPixel Camera Video
    Recorder. "An iPod Touch w/features."

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sounds good, but its kind of a overkill if you don't plan to use any phone service whatsoever. I mean at least get a prepaid sim card
  3. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    why, so you can nag about unlock
  4. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    mmm.. i am not sure i follow

Let me rephrase to use an iphone just as an ipod touch it would be over kill, that's why i recommend him to buy a prepaid sim card to at least be able to text and make calls. BTW you don't need to unlock to get a prepaid sim card, i know a lot of people who use at&t prepaid sim cards on their iphones
  5. v1dz

v1dz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Instead of paying termination charges why not buy a iPod touch and some individual gadgets as you want.
    See the price @ which you get iPhone +charges + charges .. at the same/less price u get a bigger sized ipod touch.
  6. bloodyfart

bloodyfart Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    would cost about the same as no contract iPhone, if you were to terminate your plan after one month. So thats like what.. $500-$700?
  7. hayntaptap

hayntaptap New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh snap! you're all right, the costs would be over the amount it is for an ipod touch. i didn't realize how much the cost would be until i talked to an at&t worker, to find out about details. I asked him/her the same thing, and yes, get the ipod touch.

thanks for the replies, i feel dumb >< ahah.
    i think i'm jst gnna buy my friends 7 month old ipod touch, for $130

Please Register or Log in to view images