Iphone/Ipod App development

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by endrewsmith, Aug 24, 2009.

1. endrewsmith

endrewsmith New Member

I'm planning to buy a new laptop for my school which I would be going back in next few months. As I have an interest to write application for iphone/ipodtouch, I'm also considering on Macbook pro as well. Currently, I have two serious contender in my mind;One is Sony VAIO VGN-FW465J and the other is, as you can imagine, Macbook pro 13". The reason I'm considering on Sony is, it has better spec(Blueray Reader, 16" screen, 4gb Ram, dedicated video card with 1gb ram) with $350 less than Mac. And also, when it comes to quality, as far as I know, Sony is no slouch either. So, my question is, should I just buy Sony/Leopard and use VMware for emulation. Or, should I just buy Mac instead so that no emulation is involve in development? Any two cents would be highly appreciated. On a side note, I heard new Macbook is just around the corner. Is that true?
  2. raziiq

raziiq New Member

As far as i think , developing on a real machine is far better than developing on an Emulator, so if you are serious about developing apps for iPod/iPhone, you need to get a Mac.
  3. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Get a Mac.

I have a Sony, and while I love it, I haven't been able to run OSX on it... (I also read that running OS X on a VMWare causes some problems with the SDK)

However, it depends on what you are going to use it for. If you want games, windows would probably suit your needs better. If you don't want games, you don't really need a very powerful machine.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You get what you pay for. With the SONY, you're paying for specs and the word "SONY." With the Apple, you're paying solely for the word "Apple."

I can't speak for Sony, because I've never owned a Sony computer, but every Apple computer I've ever owned has had the hardware go back wtihin a year of my owning it. My MacBook's harddrive went, then later the keyboard. My iMac's motherboard went within only a few months of buying it.

I, I think it's clear, would recommend that you buy the Sony.

Ultimately, what it's going to come down to is what you want and what you find most important.
  5. endrewsmith

endrewsmith New Member

^^I was under the impression that mac has good reputation in durability department. Not to mention the high price tag that mac fans have always been trying to justify as a price for quality. I guess those are nonsense then. Thanks all for inputs.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Is it,by any chance,the same model I quoted?
  6. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yep, because one guy on the net told you he had/has problems with his Mac's all of them are of bad quality and so on.
    Really people... It's like my bro telling me that my Xbox 360 will have a Ring of Death soon, no matter what you do. And you know what? I got that 360 for 2 years now, nothing happened, same to my friends.

It's like reading this "iPhone exploded" story and thinking every iPhone will now overheat etc.

Back on topic:
    You have to know what you want the Computer to be for. Carrying a heavy one just to use it for school stuff and programming doesn't make any sense. You should consider three things:
    Gaming, Programming and Long-lasting Battery.
    Just school stuff and programming? Take a Mac.
    Games + other stuff? Take the Sony laptop and have fun with working out all the hackintosh stuff.
  7. endrewsmith

endrewsmith New Member

I hope you are not a conspiracy junky who thinks anyone who has bad things to say about mac must have hidden agenda. He may be one person but he had a number of hardware failures with several different macs in the past and,to me, that's a serious point to consider. The fact is that Macs don't come in cheap and warranty covers one year only(unless you buy extended one with $300 which is obviously expensive). If it has high failure rate and chances of, I, being unlucky is high, I rather choose Sony+emulation combo any day than buying an expensive mac just to throw away after couple of years down the road. As for xbox, I will not go into it for not being pertinent to this thread. Anyway thanks for your input.
  8. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    No, mine is like 1.5 years old.

I just googled the model you mentioned. My aunt just bought one, and the design is quite nice. The specs also look good.
  9. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I doubt that Macs have a high failure rate. But I agree, having a stable system is the main thing one should consider when paying that much money.
    I just think Skylar had bad luck with his Macs, my uncle is using Apple products for several years now, without ANY problems (regarding the hardware). I don't call myself a "conspiracy junky" in any way, but it's just that me telling you my uncle never had problems won't convince you to buy a Mac, but telling you Skylar had several serious problems makes you want to stay away from it.

Just my two cents, this is mainly to remember other guys that will read this thread that nobody should form one opinion based on ONE report.

I agree with Pelaez, the specs look good. I'd buy the Sony one, but I don't need the power it has.
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

In my experience, 100 percent of Macs have hardware failures within the first year.

: p

That said, just get the computer that you want. And never mind what people say.