iPhone In-Store Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raelix, Jan 1, 2010.

1. raelix

raelix New Member

Is there a way to get my iPhone 3GS picked up by me without having it activated right there and then? Or is there a way I can get the iPhone ordered to my house without being activated? Because I want to be able to get the iPhone 3GS and jailbreak it and use my Blackberry SIM card without data on it.
  2. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    The stores activate it to be nice, so that you can enjoy your phone on your ride home. After-all, you paid enough for it!

Anyway, whenever you purchase, as you say "Yeah, I'll take the black 32GB" be like "But, I'll activate it at home, as it's a present for my wife, husband, dad, whatever the case". However, you'll get the phone cheaper if you purchase it with a plan, but if you don't want too, and have the money to pay otherwise then this'll work. If they argue the SIM issue, or the account, data e.t.c tell them you'll let that person choose their features, your giving the gift of the phone itself.

I did this for my friend, so he could jailbreak and use his phone on Bell, but they ran out at Bell and wanted it before school started again.
  3. raelix

raelix New Member

xD Yeah... I think I'll pay for the data for several months then do early termination then keep voice and text only. Because the full price up front for the phone is $600 or $700 depending on the model. It'd be cheaper for me to get the phone in contract then cancel after a few months and I'd still have the phone itself.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Although after I jailbreak and unlock would I be able to keep the data plan off the iPhone in future contracts with AT&T?
  4. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Hate to bring you bad news, but when you sign a contract, and you go to cancel it your liable to pay a hefty fee. My fee was $660 for the 3 Years...

I don't get what your asking, do you mean when you go and sign future contracts, with any carrier, AT&T or whatever, will you be able to get the phone with just voice and text? Yes, you will. You don't need to get DATA, it's just an easier way to get you into a contract with the cheaper phone if you get DATA.

Hope this helps,
    Brendan
  5. raelix

raelix New Member

Yes I realize there's a contract termination fee. AT&T said theirs is $175 on their website.

What I was trying to say is, if I buy the iPhone and cancel the contract, then unlock to use voice and data only when my contract ends and I sign again with AT&T to use the same iPhone can I still use voice and text only?
  6. Parrappa

Parrappa New Member

You can take it home and activate it at home I believe, but unlike what brendanm said, you don't owe them any reason why you want to take it home and activate it, so don't worry about that.
  7. raelix

raelix New Member

Okay, I'll try asking them to let me activate it at home, but if not I could always do in-store.
  8. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Order Online.
  9. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    My idea was still a good one, as some carriers might argue it.

However,
    Once your contract is up, you can still use your iPhone on the plan you have, or switch plans, you don't have to sign another contract to use their service. The contract brings you cheaper phones by locking you in for whatever term you sign, they'll offer you new phones at amazing prices when your contract is up though, for you to sign another one.

My phone I had since I was 10, 6 years ago, the contract ran up 3 years ago and I still used it until this June when I bought myself an iPhone and didn't want to toast $749+taxes on it without the contract, I was working full time all summer but didn't have that kind of cash. Plus, I wanted data, and my family pays my monthly bill so I said screw it, I'll sign the 3 year contract. When it runs up, I'll toast in another 3 years for the next iPhone.. 7G?

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. raelix

raelix New Member

Oh nice.. My parents pay my bill too, although they said if I get an iPhone I have to pay for data, which I really don't want to because it's almost like paying for the internet on home computers. Plus I think the data would be a waste of money for me because most of the time I'm around the house where I can pick up a WiFi signal. I just want the iPhone without data because it's an all-around great phone, plus I could still use it as a iPod Touch near WiFi signals once I'm by a hotspot.