iPhone Game Mods

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Mr Hack, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Mr Hack

Mr Hack Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know 'modding' an iPhone game would be impractical, but would it be legal? I am not talking massive TC modding, maybe just tweaking. I once went through some app folders with iFile and realised that many a app can be drastically changed by just changing data files. Warpgate and Iron Warfare are one of them, Warpgate especially as you can litterally create your own universe, missions, ships, galaxys and races and all by just chaning data files.
    I changed my Iron Warfare game so instead of 4 on 4 combat, I reached 40 on 40 combat but the iPhone ran a little slower. So is it legal to mess with these files? What about distributing them, just the files you need to replace to play it? I have a feeling its not, but just to be sure.
  2. n0va

n0va Banned

Perfectly legal as long as you don't distribute it to others. I have seen tutorials on stuff like this, but i think the only problem is sharing it because it is someone elses file originally
  3. username_

username_ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It's legal.
  4. markguitar

markguitar New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It is legal as long as you don't post any of the modded files... but you can post instructions or if you have enough time post a program that does the mods for the user.
  5. iHaxU

iHaxU New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What you are doing is editing game files, while it is illegal (and frowned upon in most cases) to distribute (so I've been told

Please Register or Log in to view images

) Posting information is fine. This includes the binary file (the main executable). You can post instructions on how to modify it so that the game/app works in a different way the developer intended.

On a similar tangent:

I would like someone to clarify whether it would be allowable to modify an application to circumvent restrictions the developer placed upon the user. Say for example allowing a game to download the newest character (though it has not been officially released) or something I got in hot water for. Posting how to modify Pandora to get rid of skip limitations. I don't mean to discuss this, I just wish to know whether it would be against the rules as it is not really piracy nor is it illegal as the worst it does is breach your user agreement.
  6. comet

comet Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Change market.plist on zomebiefarm. (epic)
  7. SuperMario

SuperMario Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I made custom boards in touchgrind. It is really awesome