iPhone first gen(2G) help! Use with AT&T Sony Ericsson sim.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pr. TOSHIBA, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Pr. TOSHIBA

Pr. TOSHIBA New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I recently bought an 8GB iPhone from someone I know who didn't like the iPhone coverage. I have a Sony Ericsson w580i walkman phone and was hoping that i could take the SIM card out of it and put it into my iPhone, so that i wouldn't have to get the iPhone data plan. When i put the SIM card into the iPhone it gave me the emergency call screen. iTunes wanted me to activate it using iTunes, but I was afraid that it would give me the iPhone will plan (with the larger monthly bill), so instead I jailbroke it with QuickPwn. Now I can use the camera, iPod, etc., but I couldn't use text or call. In the corner that would normally say AT&T it just shows 1 bar (i guess its connected to something) and no carrier. Help! Please.
  2. mrgas2004

mrgas2004 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you may have upgraded the baseband too far...
  3. Pr. TOSHIBA

Pr. TOSHIBA New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    This may sound like a noob, but what does that mean and how do I fix it?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

This is a 2G iPhone so he did not upgrade too far. The 2G's baseband can be downgraded (the 3G's can't from 2.30.03).

Regardless; All you need to do now is unlock it; even though it is Jailbroken and activated you will still need to unlock it (even though it an AT+T SIM). Once it is unlocked you should be good to go.