iPhone Developer Introduces Anti-Piracy Feature: Turns Cracked Apps into Demos

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iLINUX, Mar 15, 2009.

1. iLINUX

iLINUX New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Developer of iPhone app, Full-Screen Web Browser has figured out a way to turn cracked versions of his iPhone app into demos.

This is the latest attempt by an iPhone developer to fight piracy of their iPhone app after [REDACTED] was released; a jailbreak app which strips copy protection from iPhone apps and render them free for distribution.

RipDev, the folks behind the Installer app have also released Kali Anti-Piracy recently which is a service to protect iPhone apps from being pirated.

Ben Chatelain, developer of iPhone Full Screen Web Browser received a very good response to his iPhone app after it was release on the App Store. It has already been downloaded more than 65,000 times and ranks in the Top 100 Paid Apps lists in ten countries.

However, Ben got an alert within 4 days of the release that his iPhone app was cracked and was made public on [REDACTED], a site that claims to provide a solution to the flawed App Store by allowing users to try an iPhone app before buying, but as ReadWriteWeb (RWW) points out "in reality it mostly serves as a way to download pirated copies of paid iPhone applications for free".

Ben who was upset that his iPhone application was being pirated which meant lost revenues decided to come up with an ingenious solution of turning cracked versions of his iPhone app into demos.

Ben who was inspired by John Gruber's article on Daring Fireball explains how the solution works on his blog:

Full Screen Web Browser version 1.1 contains the anti-piracy solution and you can checkout the screenshot of the message users of a cracked copy will see after the demo expires (with a nice emotional touch to the message):

Please Register or Log in to view images

Ben's objective of incorporating anti-piracy solution was to convert some users of a cracked copy into legitimate customers and based on initial results he has seen some success as per RWW:

Though some might argue that such measures can be broken and could affect even genuine users, its good to see developers like Ben trying to fight piracy.

The only concern that I have with this story is that Apple should have ideally released a firmware patch to prevent piracy of iPhone apps so that all iPhone developers benefit from it so that developers like Ben can focus on making their iPhone app even better or developing the next killer iPhone app.

Source: iPhoneHacks
  2. SmoothTroopa

SmoothTroopa Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    i dont think this will reach the appstore, since it force you to connect to an unknown database, which apple wont alow
  3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It'll get cracked. Probably the best attempt yet, but to the crackers, it's like a game...
  4. ipodtouchesrule

ipodtouchesrule Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Exactly, they don't do it for money or anything else. They do it for fun. Making people lose money for fun?

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Good for him, but it just seems.. messed up.

I don't think it's fair for him to monitor so many people's iPods. Isn't that a bit invasive, and why isn't there something against the Appstore terms against that?
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    They have to be online for the monitoring to happen (And in the case of a web browser, Durr xD). Its like checking for an update on a Computer, cept this App is checking it's integrity.
  7. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Of course, this will still be cracked... always is lol.
  8. PwnTouch101

PwnTouch101 Banned

well it goes with the saying if theres a will theres a way
    no matter what people try to do to stop piracy they might succeed for awhile but there will always be someone out there can find a way around that
    ill take what MuscleNerd said about the jailbreak its a cat and mouse game
    and its the same with piracy
    witch kinda sucks for people trying to get something for free
    these developers work so hard to make these apps
    and musicians work so hard to make music for everyone
    and actors work so hard to make entertaining movies but people just keep getting ways to pirate these things

now as me as a musician if i ever become a big rock star (hey i can dream can i lol)
    i wouldnt really mind that much if people download my music as long as there listing to my music but at the same time ill be kinda pissed cause im losing money
  9. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Big brothers watching you eh?
  10. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    More like the record company is losing money. Artists make like a couple of cents per CD.