iphone-dev team update & warning

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by jmiz9000, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sir, step away from the keyboard.

So, as anticipated our friends the misfits have recently released the long awaited 2.2 update. We can confirm that this update SHOULD NOT be applied if you want the chance of a soft-unlock in the near future.

Some facts -

The 2.2 firmware for 3G contains a baseband updater for the 3G iPhone
    The 2.2 firmware for 2G (1st gen iPhones) doesn’t contain a baseband update and the baseband is still at 04.05.04
    We believe that our Pwnage technique (and therefore the Jailbreak) isn’t affected, but PwnageTool and QuickPwn do not support this release as yet, so DO NOT install 2.2 using iTunes as you will lose your jailbreak
    If you apply this update and you previously relied on PwnageTool or QuickPwn to activate your phone, it’ll become deactivated and unusable (until we release a new version of PwnageTool or QuickPwn).
    PwnageTool and QuickPwn updates will be released as soon as possible that will allow a safe update path to 2.2, but the release of our updates to these tools is NOT iminent (we have significant testing to complete)
    If you apply this update and you have third-party (non AppStore) applications that you rely on they will stop working.
    We are not working on the 2nd generation iPod touch at the moment, so we cannot comment on what the the 2.2 software update may do to this specific model
    So, as always, if you are in any doubt whatsoever please delay the install of this firmware on any of your devices until we have investigated the release in more detail. Watch this space ;-)

---

As shown earlier, make sure not to update unless you don't want the unlock soon, or possibly at all.

2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

i saw this
    today it will be safe and you could probably jailbreak
  3. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

well, thanks for the info...

iphone users should read this,

i decided not to upgrade my iphone. so, i was right...

good luck with the updates man... thanks again.
  4. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks for the scoop
  5. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for this, made me aware of the circumstances surrounding the firmware

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Come on jailbreak! Everyone's waiting anxiously...