iPhone deletes music when connected to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stuart1000, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Stuart1000

Stuart1000 New Member

Any time I unplug my iPhone from my laptop, all music and video is wiped off it and it just says "You can download content from iTunes". But when you plug the phone back in, all the music is still there on the iPhone and you can play it from the iPhone on the laptop. You just can't access it on the laptop.

I've taken the iPhone into the Apple Store and they told me there was no hardware issue and I should reinstall iTunes on my laptop. I've done that yet this is still happening.

Any clue?
  2. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is this the same PC you used to sync the music and videos?Or is this a different PC that doesn't have your library?
  3. Stuart1000

Stuart1000 New Member

It's the same PC, I only use the one laptop for all my music.
  4. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, if it's the same pc that you originally synced your music with, my first suspect would be iTunes itself. Have you upgraded to a new version recently or anything of that sort? Either way, I would completely remove iTunes and reinstall. itunes is one of those programs that even if you Add/Remove it, it still lingers. In your case, I would go the extra mile to remove it completely so if this issue is iTunes, settings or whatever is causing it will be gone.

1. Go to Start>Control Panen>Add/Remove
    2. Highlight and select "Remove" to uninstall each of the programs which are listed below:
    - Apple Software Update
    - Bonjour
    - iPod
    - iTunes
    - QuickTime

3. Since Apple prevents the uninstall from removing everything, you'll need to open the Registry Editor and manually delete the registry keys as listed below:

Click Start>Run type in REGEDIT then navigate to the follow locations:

HKEY_CURRENT _USER/Software/Apple Computer, Inc.
    HKEY_CURRENT _USER/Software/Apple Computer, Inc./iTunes
    HKEY_CURRENT _USER/Software/Apple Computer, Inc./iTunes/Parental Controls
    HKEY_CURRENT _USER/Software/Apple Computer, Inc./Quick Time
    HKEY_CURRENT _USER/Software/Apple Computer, Inc./Quick Time/LocalUserPreferences
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Apple Computer, Inc.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Apple Computer, Inc./iPod

Now reinstall iTunes, select your library, and then sync. This should take care of it. If not, then I would suspect your iPhone. but iTunes is almost always the issue so this is your best bet. Post back!
  5. Stuart1000

Stuart1000 New Member

I've already done all that I'm afraid. Tried it twice with iTunes a few weeks ago and even retried once iTunes 10 was released yesterday just in case that would help. It didn't.
  6. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    restore the iphone?
  7. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You went through and removed EVERYTHING, even from the registry? If so...wow. Yeah, a restore owuld be the next step...It's either the phone or iTunes.