iPhone... data plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raEEv3, Jul 11, 2008.

1. raEEv3

raEEv3 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So.. I don't know how many times i've asked this before.. each time it gets more specific... nno one ever gave me a straight up answer.. i've lost count how many times i've asked this.. 4 5 6 ? 7 ?! No straight up answer... I'm giving this one more shot.. or i'm gonna go for the SE s500i phone -.-" Anywho... I checked in my local phone service provider today. And I asked if I could turn off 3g (because I wanted to buy a leaked one, contractless (ppl are selling on craigslist)) .. and the guy said yes. But theres a catch. Data plans include 3g AND.. edge. So if you turn off 3g.. it still runs on edge, and we found no options to turn off edge. Across the hall was another iPhone seller, not a service provider.. more like..... selling random collections of phone. And they had the iPhones in stocked (legal) and they said that, you can ONLY use your service provider's wi-fi hotspot, and not your own, or anyone else's that you find. WTF? Can someone confirm if that was true? I don't think so. And can someone confirm about the Data plan one.... Can you honestly turn both edge and 3g off so I can just use wireless. My plan does not have data.. just basic calling... I'm gonna get fried if my bill goes over $70. I do NOT want 3g... I just want to use wi-fi

Also wondering, people are still selling the old iphone on craigslist. For old owners of the old iPhone .. can you turn off edge? and use wi-fi? Like will edge stay turned off? Or will it sometimes activate itself, and go on edge?
  2. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

there is an option to turn off 3g but not edge.

wifi is wifi. it can connect to any hotspot that gives off a wifi signal. done deal
  3. raEEv3

raEEv3 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So basically I cannot get it without the data plan because it will charge me regardless since you cant close down edge right?
    That sucks?
    Can I atleast get the old one? where you can turn off edge? I dont want to be charged for going on the internet
  4. PSP Blitzer

PSP Blitzer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Same sh*t here man, I only want the phone, callling, and texting which I already have.. I cant add ANOTHER 30 dollars to my cellphone plan just for wifi... monthly my bill is like 170-200.. Add another 30 and my parents will kill me.. Im going to cingular today, illl tell you how its goes.