iPhone Data on ATT Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lrg32shots, May 21, 2009.

1. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I have a situation with ATT. I am a big phone enthusiast and pretty much have owned and/or tried most of the cool phones out there, though I always revert back to the iphone which is the best.

My thing is i'll buy a new phone and sell my old phone. So to date ive probably went thru 5-7 different iphones (1st gen and 3g). I always keep my data plan correct with ATT cause im scared of getting charged extra on data. So everytime I go to a blackberry i'll get their data plan, or if I use a unlocked phoned i'll get the unlimited plan.

By now i've switched back to the iphone plan too many times and ATT wont allow me to hook up another iphone, which they state is a new policy because of all the unlocked iphones out there and people buying the iphone from them then canceling. They allow 3 different iphone imei's per 2-year contract, and me being about 6 months in, i'd have to wait 1.5 years before I could legitimately hook up an iphone to the correct data plan. Though they didnt state if this is only for the 3g or 1st gen as well.

Anyways, Im currently on a blackberry plan w/ att and will be selling my blackberry, and I have 2 other phones, a g1 and 1st gen iphone (Both Unlocked).
    I was thinking of getting the unlimited data/text plan and giving my g1's imei to att and having that as my main phone. But if I swap sim cards from that g1 to the unlocked iphone, will ATT know im using it? Furthermore, would I be able to use data on the iphone okay because the plan is unlimited, dont really care about visual voicemail so thats not an issue for me.

Or if anyone out there knows if that policy I spoke of is only for the 3g and not the 1st gen. I prefer the 1st gen iphone data plan cause its cheaper and I can use the g1 w/ that as well.

Sorry for the long read but i've been doing a search all morning and couldn't really find an exact answer or someone who has a similar situation as me. Any info would help greatly.
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The policy is new with me but I got sick of at&t and left them for a reason.

If I were you I would keep a basic plan with unlimitted data and quit switching back and forth just because of the different phones. I used a very basic phone (it was actually a prepaid phone) to get my account setup with them. From there I went to a number of different phones and never had a problem.

The only problem I ran into was using the 3G network. As soon as I started using the 3G at&t wanted more money. However, even using a 3G iPhone without using the 3G network is OK and they never had a problem with that.

They can tell what type of phone you are using based on the IMEI. They may not be able to recognize the G1 because that is not normally used on at&t.

Hopefully that answers some questions. You might try doing everything online and see what you can change on your account. Or, go into an at&t store and talk to someone who can help. I've had a lot better luck in person than the phone support that they offer.
  3. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks for the help, that does clear some stuff up for me. But do you know if I use the unlimited data/text plan, and put my sim into the unlocked iphone, will ATT be able to figure out im using an iphone even though its unlocked? I just dont want to set off anymore flags with them, even though I dont think there is anything wrong with me using multiple phones with the same sim card.

4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Based on the IMEI they will be able to tell you are using an iPhone but I seriously doubt they will do anything about it (at least that has been my experience).
  5. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Cool I just switched to the unlimited data/text plan so we'll see how it goes. But I will be switching between the iphone and g1 so even if att does contact me or send me a text message like they did w/ the 3g's, i'll just revert back to the G1 for awhile until the text's stop. But I switch phones on the daily so I dont think i'll use the iphone long enough for them to notice.

Thanks for the help.
  6. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    T-Mobile FTW!
    Yes, the IMEI can tell them you are using an iPhone.
  7. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I seriously doubt they will have any issue with you switching between the iPhone and the G1. It doesn't effect anything on their end and I have never had a problem except actually using the 3G network.

Just out of curiosity why do you prefer the G1 over the iPhone?
  8. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I only like the G1 when Im doing heavy emailing or chatting on the go. I can type on the iphone just fine, but its much easier for me to type on a keypad.

As for everything else, the iphone wins. I even think the camera takes better pics on the iphone even though its a lower resolution than the G1.

But I just get really bored with phones so I constantly switch just to have something different, but I always come back to the iphone. Definitely my favorite of them all.