iPhone Craziness!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TweakMan, Jul 2, 2009.

1. TweakMan

TweakMan New Member

Ok, I have a 2g iPhone 4gig in perfect condition. Just got it about a week ago. I jailbroke and unlocked it the day I got it, and have had no problems since. Well, I dediced today that I was going to reset the settins, and erase the apps on the device and start over, to save some space.

So, I went into settings, and chose to reset and erase all content. It went thru, and then rebooted. However, it got stuck at the boot screen. So, I brought it home and was going to restore thru iTunes, however, now iTunes will not find the device.

I was running 3.0 software, jailbroken, unlocked, with cydia, and icy installed. Any clue how to get it to read on itunes again? Please help guys.
  2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Use the link in my sig for recovery mode
  3. TweakMan

TweakMan New Member

Comment

Tried recovery mode. I know a bit about these things, I've had an iTouch 2G since the day they were released. This is my first iPhone, and I'm actually using it as an iTouch with a camera.

I've tried restore mode, DFU Mode, and all, but no luck. But, I have got iTunes to find the device once, about thirty seconds ago. I put the phone in DFU Mode, and opened iTunes, and it didn't find it. So, I got mad closed iTunes, and thought about quitting until someone told me something.

Well, I went to my document, and actually clicked on the 3.0 firmware file I use to jailbreak my iPhone. It opened iTunes, and found the device, extracted the firmware, and i thought it was going to start. However, I'm getting the same error over and over again now, error 1601.

So, i'm not sure now. Any clues?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok. Now I can't figure out how iTunes found it that time. It won't do it again.
    And yes, the iphone is 105% sure in DFU Mode.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well, I figured at least this much out now. iTunes will only recognize my iPhone, if the iphone is connected to the PC, in DFU mode, and I open iTunes after that. If I tunes is open already when I plug the device in, I get nothing. But, when the device is in DFU And plugged in, and then I open iTunes, it finds it, says it's in DFU Mode, and needs restored.

I have tried 7 times now to restore, using the shift+click restore method, and using the firmware, 3.0, that I downloaded when I jailbroke my device. Dumb question possibly, but is the firmware that is used for jailbreaking, and the firmware from itunes, the same? Or would that effect it, and cause an error?

Also, what would cause it to only be found, when opening iTunes after the connection is made between iPhone and PC.
  4. germ

germ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    dont do shift restore method, just click restore and update when itunes comes on and detects it in DFU mode.

cut your 3.0 software file out of the folder it downloaded to from itunes.

it should re download the file and restore it.

then you should be good to go. just jailbreak and then unlock and you should be back at it.
  5. TweakMan

TweakMan New Member

Thats what I've been doing guys, and thats what is not working. First, if I open iTunes, then connect my iPhone 2G, iTunes doesn't even recognize the iPhone, at all. Which means no chance to restore.

However, if I put my iPhone in DFU Mode, then I open iTunes, it finds it. It gives the option to restore only. I shift/click, and choose the 3.0 firmware, which was downloaded straight from iTunes, and has always worked.

It starts to extract, and gets to the point where it says "Preparing iPhone For Restore". About thirty seconds after that starts, I receive an error message stating "Error 1601" iPhone cannot be restored. Something like that, but it is error 1601. After looking up that error, it says to reinstiall itunes completely, and all components. However, I have tried that three times now. Still no luck.

My iPhone is still able to be found by iTunes, doing it the weird way of opening iTunes after in DFU And connected. Also, it can be found by RedSnow, QuickPWN, and by my PC In general, which comes up when I plug it in, and states "iPhone in DFU Recover mode" now connected. So, I don't think the problem is in my iPhone, but I may be wrong.

As of now, the iPhone is stuck at the Apple logo, with the loading symbol froze up over top of it, and it refuses to go any further. I even tried rerunning the jailbreak app to see if that would do it, or help, but it runs, and then refreezes right in the same spot.

SO PLEASE GUYS, PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS. Again, I was on jailbroken and unlocked 3.0 software. I reset the device, under settings, by choosing, "RESET AND ERASE ALL CONTENT". That is when it started this mess.
  6. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, try jailbreaking it to get it out of DFU/recovery mode, then try a restore?
  7. TweakMan

TweakMan New Member

Ok guys, got it fixed. I tried everything you all were saying to do, but no luck. Well, here is what happened, which doesn't really make sense to me.

Looking up the error messages 1601, I was told to completely remove and reinstall iTunes and all iTunes components. I did this, with no effect. I tried 4 different computers from home, and 3 at the office, with not one bit of luck. The iphone was not being recognized on any itunes, unless it was in dfu mode, plugged up, and then iTunes was started later on.

So finall, I let the battery on the iPhone die fully. I then connected it to iTunes, where it found it on first connect. I done a restore, which died in the middle, and it went straight back to what it was doing. So, I let it die again.

I was dumbfounded, and nothing anyone was suggesting helped. Well, I connected it once it was dead, and planned on trying one last time. It connected to iTunes, I done shift/click restore, and started to restore the firmware. However, I MADE A BIG MISTAKE, or so I thought.

When doing the restore, I accidentally choose the 3.0 iPod 2G firmware instead of for my iPhone. Now normally, from what I understand, this would simply give an error, and die out. Well, instead it went thru the restore process fully. It got to the point at the end where iTunes said it was complete, and the iPhone restarted.

It restarted, went to the apple logo, and just stuck there, resetting every few moments. I put it in DFU Mode, iTunes found it right away, I wnt thru the restore again with the iPhone 3.0 software, and it flashed with no issues. It's now working fully.

Not sure what I done to fix it, but I'd love to get your opinions. I'm not even sure how the ipod firmware didn't generate an error the second it was uploaded for the restore. So feel free to leave me some possible reasons.