iPhone connect to itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vegito_93, Jun 13, 2010.

1. vegito_93

vegito_93 Member

iPhone UNLOCK without SIM CARD?

Newbie alert! Just kidding i know a thing or two about the iphone. My question:

I have bought a used iphone 3gs (3.1.3) locked to Fido. And i have a Rogers sim card, so i need to unlock.

What i want to do is wait for iOS 4.0 and SHIFT restore to the downloaded firmware. The problem is that the iphone has not been used on MY itunes before, and i dont have a fido sim card. Will i still be able to restore it using firmware 4.0?

What i am afraid of is that i will be stuck on the connect to itunes screen cuz i dont have the fido sim card. Will that happen?

Offcourse, after the restore, i will unlock it with whatever solution the iphone dev team develops. Again i dont have the fido sim card, so will i have anny problems doing it with no sim card in the iphone?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.
  2. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes if you restore you will get the connect to iTunes screen. So just wait untill the Dev team releases redsn0w or any other tool that can hacktivate it in order to get pass that.
  3. vegito_93

vegito_93 Member

ok, so when i restore to 4.0, i can run redsn0w on my iphone to "hactivate" even though the phone is on the "connect to itunes screen". I thought that the iphone needs to be activated prior to using redsn0w or any other unlock.

BTW if i use my firends fido sim can i activate through that and then unlock. His sim is not for iphone though.

One more question:
    I also want to buy an iphone for my sister. This one is 3G 3.1.2 and unlocked + jailbroken. Will i have any problems restoring this. DOnt want it to get bricked.
  4. -lkv-

-lkv- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    no it doesnt, but the thing is without the activation, youtube or email or push wont work correctly. i wanna restore to a custom firwmare of 4.0gm but kinda thinking since i cant sync in windows.
  5. vegito_93

vegito_93 Member

so there are problems with "hacktivating" like push, email and youtube. But dont these problems get resolved after the unlock is done, or patches need to be installed to take care of it.

BTW: what is wrong with syncing in windows?
  6. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can fix those with push doctor from cydia. I think this is what it was called.. Otherwise to answer your other question yes you can activate the iPhone with your friends card. As long as it is an official carrier sim it will do the job

You won't have a problem restoring the 3g iPhone because it doesn't have the SHSH blobs like the 3Gs. Although if you restore you will lose the jailbreak. If you update to 3.1.3 you will lose the unlock because there is no unlock for the 5.12 BB.

Nothing is wrong with sync in Windows. This is just for the iOS 4.0 GM version which you can only install using a Mac
  7. vegito_93

vegito_93 Member

good, i should stick to that then.
  8. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    But you will have to wait a while. The Dev's won't release a tool that like that untill iOS 4.0 comes along with the new iPhone.
  9. vegito_93

vegito_93 Member

What if it is 3Gs. what is the problem of restoring a 3Gs?

i know that, i will do all of this when the new unlock is released.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Really? MuscleNerd announced that the release was comming with iOS 4.0, not the iphone 4.

http://twitter.com/musclenerd/status/15571825324
  10. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The problem with restoring a 3Gs is that it has SHSH blobs. They are keys specificaly assigned to the device/FW which have to be checked by iTunes when restoring. When iTunes sees they are for an older FW it won't let you restore thus making you restore to the new FW released. You can easily bypass that by grabbing them with Umbrella or saving them in cydia, and then changing a line of text in iTunes. There are guides on this on this site.

Im pretty sure the Dev's will wait to try it out on the new device