Iphone as ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by huggins0484, Jun 30, 2009.

1. huggins0484

huggins0484 New Member

Okay, I have an ipod touch 1g and looking to buy a new one. Instead of going for the ipod touch 2g, I was wondering if it was possible to get ahold of an iphone and use it as an ipod touch. To me, the camera and the mic make a huge difference.

How would I going about doing this? Could I buy a new iphone from apple and just work from there? Would I have to get a used iphone off of ebay?

Also, once I had the iphone.. I was going to jailbreak it and was wondering if there was anything else I would have to do.. because I heard people talking about SIM cards that you need.

Overall, I would like the details to make it possible to get an iphone and use it as an ipod touch. Thank you for you can do!
  2. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You might have to look for one on Craig's List or eBay.
    I don't think Apple will sell you one.
  3. huggins0484

huggins0484 New Member

Okay.. Now I see all these iphones here and some say "unlocked with SIMcard" and some say just "AT&T" and so does it matter? will i get charged anything if it isnt unlocked or has a SIMcard in it?
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It won't even work if you don't activate it with a sim card. If you don't have an AT&T sim, then just jailbreak it and select unlock in redsn0w 0.72
    After that, insert a sim into the iPhone and you're good to go. I think you can take out the sim after that. I'm not sure. I haven't touched an iPhone in a week.
  5. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    you just need to jailbreak and unlock it and your done. you wont need a sim card or anything. my cousin has an iphone and he has no sim. it works like an ipod touch with a camera.
  6. huggins0484

huggins0484 New Member

okay but wait.. if i unlock the phone with redsnow, i still HAVE to put the sim card in to use it?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    oh okay. thank you skyline!