iPhone Apps First Steps

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Hackey_Sack, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So, I'd like to develop iPhone apps, but there's one little problem: I have absolutley zero coding experience. Now, I'm not stupid, I'm not going to ask for an easy way to make great apps. What I do want to know is: What is the ABSOLUTELY FIRST step I need to take to make quality applications? I searched and found nothing, so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Get a mac or hackintosh your PC.
  3. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, of course. What I mean is, I've heard people say that you should learn Objective-C. Then I've heard that learning C helps learn Objective-C. Programming-wise, what's the first thing I should learn?
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Objective-C is C, with a relatively small extension fostering object-orienteted programming through dynamic messaging and typing, inheritance, etc. I recommend buying this book which will give you a complete introduction to Objective-C, and teach you basic underlying C language features like functions, arrays, and structs. You don't have to master low-level I/O or pointer arithmetic to be a passable iPhone dev. Learning things like that would make you a more learned programmer, and it would give you a better understanding as to what goes on "behind the scenes", but they aren't directly relevant to iPhone development, where the frameworks do a lot of the work for you.
  5. Bazinga

Bazinga Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks, this thread helped me too. So people, if I learn C first Objective C won't be much different right? I do have a little Web Programming experience. Will that be any help too?
  6. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Don't hi jack Hackey_Sack's thread..

Anyways, ya..I recommend you learn the objective- C. You can Google it too.
  7. Bazinga

Bazinga Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hahaha, I knew someone would think I was hijacking Hackey-Sack's thread. But I thought that what I asked would be a little helpful to her too, right?
  8. Freerunnering

Freerunnering Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I recommend you get titanium that lets you develop for the iPhone with javascript script Syntax so is pretty easy to pick up.
    If you can't find any sample apps for it i'll post links to some.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Bazinga

Bazinga Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Woah, that is so cool. Thanks a lot man. Let the thread's attention go back to Hackey_Sack now though.
  10. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you want to be completely dependent on a third party like that, who won't be able to keep up with all the new API, then go for it.