iPhone applications in c++ ?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by oioioi, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oioioi

oioioi New Member

How do people make a iPhone/iPod touch application in c++ on windows(not using iPhone SDK)? Can i just write a c++ program in Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 and SSH it into my iPod?
    Will this work?:
    If not, how did those people who made games and applications before iPhone SDK do it?
  2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

No...the interface has to be an UIApplication, and the parts of the application, like the navigation bar( UINavigationBar ) are all parts of the UIKit. That would simply crash. PLUS, it would be an exe so it wouldn't even execute.

EDIT: I use the cygwin binary toolchain to develop on installer. It uses Objective-C and is the main way to make applications...it takes a bit to learn and understand, but its worth it.
  3. oioioi

oioioi New Member

Thanks a lot. Is there any way to use c++ to make games/applications for iPhone? Obj-C looks hard, and i dont want to learn two programming languages now
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

It's perfectly fine to program for the iPhone in C++. I believe NES.app uses quite a bit of it (for the eulator itself).

What you have provided should work and will print "Hello World" in terminal. You can set up a GUI in C++, but it will be far easier using Objective-C (API access).
  5. thesmidge

thesmidge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Obj-C and C++ will both run perfectly on your iPod/iPhone. It's just that Obj-C is the native programming language for anything OS X, and all the iPhone runs is a watered down version of OS X.
  6. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmm... You would think, being both C based programming languages that it'd be easy to learn another one quickly if you already know one, right? Objective-C may just be hard because it's hard to get your hand on a good tutorial that will teach you it nowadays.
  7. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yes you can use C++, but your makefile must include the right libraries or you will get linker errors.
  8. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

You CAN program in C++, don't let some of these people lie to you. It just won't have a GUI, as in, it will only be a CLI utility. Compile with this:

arm-apple-darwin-g++ ./main.cpp -o main

And then just launch from SSH or Term-vt100 and it should just display "Hello World!"
  9. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    true, but you can use a task scheduler from an Obj-C app that handles the view class, and screen pointer, and then use an entire c++ app as the main scheduled app if you want. BulletML for the Noiz2sa and rRootage ports I did are both C++
  10. oioioi

oioioi New Member

What is "arm-apple-darwin-g++ ./main.cpp -o main"? I tryd to copy the project forlder to /Applications but there was no icon on my springboard.
    Does the input stream work on iPod?
    Is it possible to brick my iPod if there are any bugs in my code(bigger and more advanced code)?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.