iPhone (and iPoT) Now the Biggest eBook Reader?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Shadowriver, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Looks like eBook reading on iPhone platform is quite popular :> touch screens ftw ^^

Source:MacRumors
  2. Someone1guy

Someone1guy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Shameless Plug! All my releases are for the Stanza, check out the sig.
  3. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hey, I'd just installed this... and I love it. Downloaded a bunch of old classics that I've never had the chance to read. Now I can read it on my spare time! Kinda like the interface. But no J.R.R.Tolkien books yet? That's a major bummer to me.
  4. Someone1guy

Someone1guy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    psst,Tolkien is on my website, look at my signature.
  5. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    oh wow... thanks man...
  6. michael2008

michael2008 New Member

iPhone

The iPhone is an internet-connected multimedia smartphone designed and marketed by Apple Inc. with a flush multi-touch screen and a minimal hardware interface. Lacking a physical keyboard, a virtual keyboard is rendered on the touch screen. The iPhone's functions include those of a camera phone and portable media player in addition to text messaging and visual voicemail.

CrazyIvan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I totally agree that Stanza is the way forward. I'm currently trying to figure out how to make one of our old existing e-books (rtf,txt,html etc.) into a pretty ePub format with the Title, Genre, Author, Description, cover image etc. fields populated correctly. I've figured out most of it (thanks to this doc) except for the embedded book cover. You just add meta's in the header part of your original document reformatted (if not already html) as unformatted (MS garbage) html:

<meta name = "DC.Title" content = "Simpsons in Space">
    <meta name = "DC.Creator" content = "Simpson, Homer">
    <meta name = "DC.Type" content = "Science Fiction">
    <meta name = "DC.Description" content = "Homer Simpson goes to the moon in a spacecraft built by Lisa and piloted by Bart">
    <meta name = "DC.Date.Created" content = "2007">
    <meta name = "DC.Date.Created" content = "2008">
    <meta name = "DC.Publisher" content = "Penguin">
    <meta name = "DC.Language" content = "en-UK">

If I add these to an HTML e-book and then open it up in Windows Stanza, and view the file info the fields are populated correctly. If you've got all your ebooks titled in a nice consistent format that denotes title and author, it shouldn't be too hard to whip up a script that converts your file (if necessary) to HTML and parses the info from Amazon to populate the above meta tags. Ideally it'd be nice to just use desktop Stanza to convert any format to OEB as it covers so many and then use something to populate the Title, Author, Genre, Description, book cover image etc. fields but I can't find any references or tools on how to add info to an existing ePub. I wonder if Stanza can be used to do conversions to ePub from the command line?

Getting the cover images sorted out would be great as the upcoming Stanza release (check it out in the app store as it waits for approval by Apple) has a great new way to scroll through your book collection by covers similar to the music album view.

CrazyIvan
  8. Lupevalenz

Lupevalenz New Member

Ahhh I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. Glad to see its not and just an update waiting. I so can't wait for that, I like to browse through my library by seeing the cover art ^^.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Great selection! Request though, is it possible to get some Dragonlance books up? Chronicles be a good start, thanks ^^/. I'm starting to use Stanza more because of the choices you've given

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. bobomaster13

bobomaster13 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Glad to see your books on 2.x.x