Iphone and ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gatortraak, Feb 15, 2008.

1. gatortraak

gatortraak New Member

So I currently have ATT and want to get an iphone but don't want to renew my contract. If I unlock one and put in my sim card can I sign up for a data plan and get visual voicemail and use EDGE?
  2. xSNOWCAT

xSNOWCAT New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    when you unlock you want to use it for AT&T? I know for a fact if you unlock you wont get Visual Voicemail, and i dont know have you'll get the iPhone data plans cuz you activate through itunes and renews your contract
  3. gatortraak

gatortraak New Member

I know I can't get the iphone data plan, but if I have a data plan for mu current phone when I transfer my sim card over will that work? Has anyone with ATT tried an unlocked iphone?
  4. RonJon715

RonJon715 New Member

i have ATT and i just put my old sim card into an unlocked phone (I had a blackjack). So far, I haven't noticed online that my cellular or data plan has been altered in any way. The price and specifics seem to be the same. I haven't had a new month billed to me yet so i can't say for sure, but so far mine has worked perfect. I just popped my old sim in the phone and it was working immediately. As for visual voicemail, I'm not sure what he means by that. I have been able to see when I have voicemail, and the phone connects to it without me having to manually enter my own #. No complaints.
  5. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    By Visual Voicemail he means in the MobilePhone.app where you click Voicemail at the bottom, can you see the name/number of the person, date when they called, etc.
  6. gatortraak

gatortraak New Member

Thanks RonJon, and by visual voicemail I mean the feature that is specific to the iphone. It allows you to view your voicemail like email. If that's the only thing that doesn't work then that's fine with me... I'm used to the old system of voicemail and don't get enough in a day where I would need to sort through them like that anyway.
  7. RonJon715

RonJon715 New Member

oh yeah, i can see all that. On the phone icon, it will show the missed call, and the voicemail, who called, etc. I don't know if this is because i have a ATT sim, or what...Does this not work with other carriers.
  8. gatortraak

gatortraak New Member

If visual voicemail is working for you then that's awesome. No it does not work for other carriers or other AT&T phones, its a special app just for the iphone.