iPhone 4 iPhone 4 plays '.avi's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronie1993, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ronie1993

ronie1993 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I was just looking at the iPhone 4 specs on the apple website and i noticed under the TV and Video section where it has the formats is plays, it now says it can play motion jpeg as avis.

"Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format"

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

So i then went and checked the ipod touch and 3gs specs and it didn't have it listed for them. So what is this? Is it the format that the iPhone 4 records on for video now it does HD video? Does it have better compression or something? Or can you actually sync avi videos to the iphone 4 now and play them just like a normal video file? Personally, i didn't even realise that iTunes could play avis, being a windows user and mainly using wmp for video. And if so, perhaps later on we'll be able to play avis on older iphones and ipod touches?

P.S. If this has already been posted, i do apologise but i did a quick search and couldn't find anything so i thought it was just worth posting to see what others thought.
  2. Linux

Linux Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    cool if that is true, then i can play tons more of my videos
  3. Mz8691

Mz8691 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wish they could play mkv files.
  4. cjori

cjori New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Someone here with iPhone 4 can check it? Seems neat.
  5. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    avi is just the "standart" format for Videos
  6. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    OP said AVI audio not video.
  7. ronie1993

ronie1993 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm pretty sure the avi was referring to the whole thing (video codec, resolution, fps and audio codec) because thats what they have for the other formats like mp4, mov etc.

But yeah, it's a shame it seems to be specific in being m-jpeg for the video codec and not something like xvid.
  8. kevuk09

kevuk09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    ive tested this, and no it doesnt work i cant even put the avi into itunes,it takes about 10 mins to convert a avi into iphone compatibility using anyfreevideoconverter.
  9. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    .mp4 has 100 times better compression capabilities so I don't know what apple would use .avi compression for recording. My guess is that they just support .avi playback. And I'm pretty sure vlc4iphone does that too.
  10. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That is nonsense. Both mp4 and avi are multimedia container formats and have nothing to do with the quality or compression of the encoded movie.