iPhone 4 Iphone 4 OS 4.1 with baseband 02.10.04 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taitac, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Taitac

Taitac New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am about to get an iphone with OS Version 4.1.0 and modem firmware: 02.10.04.
    The owner said it is factory unlocked and that it came with these characteristics. He hasnt updated the phone at all. He received the phone yesterday. Just synced it to test the apps he had and thats it.

My question is this:
    If i jailbreak it and something goes wrong (i will save the shsh with tiny first), will i be able to restore the phone ?
    I called the shop he bought it from and they said the phones they sell are carrier free.

I mean what are the chances i can brick the phone and what should i avoid if so.
    The phone was bought from an inland store so there is no chance its from another country.

Thanks
  2. mitchem

mitchem Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The unlock is determined by Apple themselves (through iTues) and not by the firmware. So if the software does get corrupt restore in iTunes sync your music, apps etc then jailbreak and you'll be back to normal with your iPhone still factory unlocked

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Taitac

Taitac New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hmmm, but if i get a phone from a carrier's shop here then i cant use another carrier's sim card. How is apple getting in this picture. I checked at the apple website and it shows both carriers for my country that the phones are unlocked but this is not true.

I am just worried that if i screw things up (like i did with my ipod touch 2g) and i need to (probably Shift+Restore right?) i wont get my device messed up.
    I've never had an iphone before and i am not so sure whats the deal with the baseband thingy.

Ipods are easy cause if you mess up then you can simply restore, but i've been reading about people getting their iphones locked and they have to wait for an unlock to come out, and i was wondering if that thing can happen to me as well (although locked = locked to 1 carrier only right? in which case it will be my carrier anyways)
  4. mitchem

mitchem Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    When you put a SIM card into the iPhone for the first time you need to activate it with iTunes before you can use the phone. Thats when Apple checks the phone and goes ok that carrier can work with this phone if it doesn't then it will not activate it. If this is the case you would need to put a SIM in the iPhone that it is locked too. But if its unlocked it will activate any carrier.

When a restore is done after you need to activate the phone which as I said iTunes goes off to Apple and checks if it can activate the phone.

Hope that makes sense, lol.
  5. Taitac

Taitac New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just got the phone and i used my current carrier's sim and it activated it. So i guess its unlocked. Cool!
    I hope i wont mess up the jailbreak now :/
  6. Taitac

Taitac New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok just to be on the safe side i saved my SHSHs with tinyumbrella localy on my PC.
    If i jb the device now and i want to restore later on, what is the proper way to go ?