iPhone 4 iPhone 4 no signal drop on some?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fred2028, Jul 16, 2010.

1. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I watched this video at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxcJevPVvQQ

and notice that he held it so the 2 antennas were touched, but it appears there was no signal drop from AT&T. Seems like some just aren't affected?
  2. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Considering that only 0.55% (that's half of one percent) of iPhone 4 owners have called in to report antenna issues or get support, it's clear that very few devices are affected by the antenna/signal issue.
  3. N130

N130 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah not everyone has the problem, with the 4.0.1 update my phone fluctuates between 3-5 bars, before that it was 4-5 bars. No matter how I hold it, squeeze it, smother it I can't get the signal to drop. Occasionally it will drop 1-2 bars if I hold it in a very unnatural way (practically bear hugging it with my hand) trying to replicate the problem but the signal never drops.

However I feel for those who have the problem.
  4. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The engadget editors wrote an article explaining their experiences with it. Only a few of them had issues with theirs in day to day life. Others couldn't even get it to drop signal when they purposefully tried
  5. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple's stat is misleading since not everyone who have the issue call customer support.

I live in Canada and I really do hope that when I get my iPhone 4, it doesn't have that issue.
  6. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I can't get mine to lose bars. I've tried every way imaginable to cover the left side of the phone (even copied the specific ways shown in the videos) and have never lost my signal.
  7. QuikAccord

QuikAccord Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I have 2 iPhone 4s a 32gb and a 16gb neither of which have any type of signal drop. And both were delivered the day before launch. One came direct from China(Apple) and the other from Texas(AT&T).
  8. Mobious

Mobious Member

Device:
    iPad
    All iPhone 4's are affected. Mine is affected, yours is affected, everyone. ITS A DESIGN FLAW PEOPLE! The only reason some have it more harsh than others is because their already in an area with sub-par signal.

In other words, since I live in an area with good coverage, I cannot get my bars to drop when I am outside. But when I am say...out camping in the desert, or go to any area where I know coverage sucks, I guarantee you you will be able to reproduce the signal drop.

All in all I love my iPhone 4 and am glad I am not getting dropped calls, but just to make it clear, its not a batch of faulty units, its an design flaw on everyone's iPhone.
  9. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I have a question:

I've had my BlackBerry Curve for well over a year now and I've dropped maybe one or two calls total. I don't even know if they were a fault of my phone or the person on the other end. So it's obviously a great phone with great signal strength. However, when I put my BB into a death grip, the bars go from full to none. No signal. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Does this mean my device is flawed?
  10. Mobious

Mobious Member

Device:
    iPad
    It was one of the devices Apple showed to have the issue, my bothers curve doesn't drop signal when he grips it at my house, but when hes at the beach house he can get it to drop all of its bars. There is a flaw in the device, but its just not as big as the iPhone 4's design flaw. You see you have to GRIP the entire phone to make your service drop where all we have to do is put a finger on the gap.

Like I said before the reason not everyone is experiencing this issue is because they live in an area with strong reception. Let those people take their iPhones to an area with not so decent reception and I assure you they will see the bars drop by covering that gap. Anyone who says they don't is lying or he or she has an iPhone that is magically different than all the others.