iPhone 4 iPhone 4 (any, really) data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sumsaykra-z, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Sumsaykra-z

Sumsaykra-z Member

I've been coming to this site since I got my iPod touch about 2 years ago. I FINALLY got an iPhone 4 and it is my very first iPhone and very first phone with internet. I got the 2gb data plan and my wife has the 200mb. I've been keeping track of my wife and I's data and noticed something weird....to me. Upon leaving At&T with our brand new iPhone's my wife has yet to use any data over 3G or wifi. She barely put her hands on her phone (sent two text messages) I picked it up just to thumb through it and realized she already used almost 200kb of data usage

Please Register or Log in to view images

How is that possible? Does the store do something over 3G for activation? Also, I noticed that my data usage is a lot higher than it should be. I barely did anything on it and I've already used a combine sent/received 58mb. I only had this thing for 6 hours and all I've done over 3G was download the Case Program app and used Facetime over 3G for a total of 5 minutes (which should be around 17mb). I guess my question is, does the data usage only keep track for data over 3G or ALL data, wifi included?
  2. smede2

smede2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i cant really answer that question but if you want to find out how much data you have used, and how much you have left for the month, text *3282# [ data = 3282 ] into the keypad using phone. then just click call, it will send you a free sms telling you how much data, when your next bill is, and texts.
    this is the easiest way to keep track for me personanly.
    its star three two eight two pound, then dial. that simple lol

example of my message

3. Sumsaykra-z

Sumsaykra-z Member

Cool thanks. I just did that and now I'm even more confused. Data is 0 of 2048 ?????? I know I used data! Does it just take a while for it to reflect or something?
  4. NoJoDeL

NoJoDeL New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I use the myWireless AT&T app that tells me all my info.
  5. Sumsaykra-z

Sumsaykra-z Member

Sweet. That's probably really useful as well. But still, "data usage" is only for carrier data, not wife...correct?
  6. NoJoDeL

NoJoDeL New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Well when you load it up there will be an option to see each phone individually. It will show you how many minutes, texts, and data used for each phone.
  7. Sumsaykra-z

Sumsaykra-z Member

Okay. I see what you're saying now. I was referring to the "Data Usage" section found in Section/General/Usage on the phone. I was wondering if that displayed just 3G data or wifi as well.
  8. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Cellular data = carrier
  9. azndude1

azndude1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if you are on wifi, you don't use any data...maybe you've used 0 becauses you've been on wifi?
  10. Samphotog

Samphotog Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    that usage under settings can be very inaccurate because at&t sometimes pulls info from the device apparently and this uses data but they usually only do that at night and it doesn't count against your 2gb