iPhone 3rd Gen (4G) Predictions

Discussion in 'Apple Discussions, Rumours and Speculation' started by ZunePod, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    iPhone V3 Discussion Thread

Last Update: 13th April

Here are a few things I predict about the 3rd Gen iPhone. I say this with certainty as It Only Makes Sense and because of the many flying rumours.

New iPhone​

5/3.2 MP Camera - I think Apple will add this because they actually could of done it in the 3G, although it would have drained more battery. Engadet report a 3.2MP camera. This camera is reported to made by OmniVision. (DigiTimes) (AfterDawn)

Faster Networking HSPDA 7.2 - The current iPhone uses HSPDA 3.2, this is a no-brainer as AT&T (and many other vendors of the iPhone over the world) are upgrading their networks, this is a hardware limitation of the iPhone 3G. The baseband chip could be the X-GOLD™ 618 - PMB 9800 which does suggest a 5 MP camera. Wifi could also be boosted by an 802.11n chip, as Broadcom are bringing out a new Wifi chip that supports 802.11n (BCM4329)

Longer Battery Life - With better Lithum batteries being made by the week I really do think Apple will include this one.

Multi-Core CPU & GPU - More of a possibility than you may think. Look here & here. The first link is to the Marvell PXA168's page, this processor can clock up to 1.2GHz (0.6GHz per core) even putting a 1-core version of this would boost the speed by almost 50%. The second link is for the GPU and this proves that hardcore gaming could be coming to iPhone. No lag on TTR2

Please Register or Log in to view images

Video Recording - This is a proven fact that it is possible to Record Video on iPhone. It's called Cycorder, although it's just really basic, with a 5 MP camera this could really be a good choice. Other Evidence suggests that you would be able to upload your videos to MobileMe. UPDATE: MacRumours say that the new iPhone will have Video Recording. Full Post:

More NAND Memory - Samsung have made 32GB NAND Blocks that are the same size (physically) as the 16GB ones, the question is: Will Apple go for 64GB? UPDATE: Apple Places Order for 100 Million 8Gb Flash Chips.

Better GPS - I have to say that the current GPS is okay, but it needs to be more accurate. Behold. The current one.
    So as you can see the first one mentioned has much better tracking etc. But the current one isn't quite as good. UPDATE: A string in a Frimware File suggests that the new iPhone will have a Magnetometer (Digital Compass) which would assist a lot in iPhone AR.

iPhone AR (Augmented Reality) - MacRumours reported that the new iPhone will have a feature that allows the iPhone to overlay computer generated graphics over real-time camera views:
    Bluetooth - A major thing missing from iPhones (locked in the software). But with a new chip, it could be awesome. The chip would be a BCM4329 which is a combined WiFi, Bluetooth, FM Radio (reciever and transmitter) chip.

Voice Dialling - Not necessarily a feature unique to the new iPhone, but Boy Genius Report has found evidence of voice dialling.

FM Radio - Touched on slightly in the Bluetooth section, MacRumours suggests that the new Broadcom chip is theoretically capable of Transmission and Reception of FM signals.

Re-Design - While there is not evidence to support this, it's kind of a whim, I think they will change the sound "Grills" at the bottom, and maybe make it a bit thinner. I'm also thinking a lighter, but stronger material for the back, maybe Carbon Fibre, but that might be too expensive, although we have seen a Matte back rumoured.

A thing you might notice about this is the new model number. The current iPhone 3G is A1241. So this photo (A1303 suggests that it is the 3rd revision of the new iPhone, meaning this is the 3rd prototype for the iPhone 4G (or iPhone2)

This is just a rough look around as some of the aspects, there are other things that could be updated, such as the other things below:

Things Apple Won't Do

Biometric Reader - Will make the device too thick.
    Offer it as a free upgrade - They will lose out on A LOT of money.

Recent News​

- Engadget report that the parts for the new iPhone have started shipping to be assembled in China:

- MacRumours report on FM included in the new Broadcom chip.

- Boy Genius Report has found a few things hidden in the 3.0 firmware. (see Below)
    - Apple placed an order for 4 Million iPhones. (MacRumours)

- USB tethering, Publish Video and Find my iPhone found in OS 3.0. (Engadget)

3.0 News​

List of threads that have the same news as posted in here​

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169739
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168660

I will try to update this. if anybody could find me the MobileMe Upload feature in 3.0 (it's a picture) or tell me how to embed YouTube and Vimeo videos, i would be happy. Also, if a mod could change the title to say: "iPhone v3 Discussion Thread" and maybe sticky it, please?

Please suggest other things and please don't quote this post

Attached Files:

2. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Also, they need 802.11n wireless.
  3. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Why does it say 4G?
  4. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I can tell you there won't be 4G mobile internet connection in the next iPhone, if it's released this year. AT&T's 4G network won't be ready until late this year.
  5. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    well, it could be a possible name (everyone assumes). Because it went from iPhone to iPhone 3G, why not iPhone 4G?
  6. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    @Blake, this is what I was thinking ^^

@Blackzmage, 802.11n, I think i mentioned that :S

See Blackzmage's second post in this thread.

It's really a name assumption, I can't really think of anything else to call it.

iPhone2 maybe?

I'm going to add another item to the list.
  7. frickinchance113

frickinchance113 Banned

its blake lol
  8. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)

Oh, i edited that, April Fools' of course
  9. Qartin

Qartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think overall there going to change up the look of it. THey should make the entire thing out of a really strong metal, that looks sleek any sexy, doesnt get fingerprints on it, and doesnt scratch,
  10. medicus85

medicus85 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't believe they will change the design that much, maybe a bigger touchscreen and all in one sleeker.