iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS working as iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by josie1one, Oct 16, 2010.

1. josie1one

josie1one New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My son sent me a iPhone 3GS from the UK which a man with Vodafone Greece (where I live on a small island) unlocked and jailbroke for me with Blackra1n. (Note I was too scared to do it myself

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
    I left it connected to my computer overnight and the next morning it was locked (Emergency only). The same VF man fixed it up to a point, it's now an iPod touch ("No Sim") but the other day told me to use Limera1n. I did, only to find it stuck in Recovery Mode. I found this forum and iRecovery got it out of Recovery Mode (phew!)
    Now I would like to get the phone working but am much to scared to try Limera1n again without first checking that this is in fact the right thing to do and hope that somebody can tell me.

iPhone 3GS 16GB
    s/w 4.0.2
    iTunes 9.2.1.5

(I hope this is not too long, rules said details. Searching hasn't found the same problem)
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So its still locked at the emergency screen? Put it in dfu mode; (google it) and then do a restore
  3. josie1one

josie1one New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No, it's working properly but does not recognise that there is a sim card, so no phone

Edit: My apologies, I should have summarised. It is working exactly as it should - it just does not recognise that there is a sim card.
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

ohhh, you want to hacktivate... yeah limera1n does the trick just jailbreak with your sim in and then after you reboot it should be activated... good luck
  5. josie1one

josie1one New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks - so it's likely I messed up my last attempt with limera1n? That's when it went into Recovery Mode and stayed there until I used iRecovery.
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Most likely. But just remember, no matter what goes wrong with limera1n you can always restore back to normal.
  7. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Limera1n is supposed to put the phone in recovery. Just follow the instructions in the box. and it will jaiblreak it.

Open iTunes and minimize it.
    Run limera1n as administrator
    Press make it rain
    The phone should be in recovery mode now
    Follow the instructions in the box which is to put it in DFU mode
    Once it's done just wait for it to jailbreak
  8. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

I think you all missed that he needs to be on 4.1 for limera1n to work.

So, update to iOS 4.1 in iTunes, then use limera1n.
  9. josie1one

josie1one New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I've been reading up on this and see that you shouldn't update to 4.1 if you rely on an unlock, which I do. I also see a TinyUmbrella upgrade tut to 4.1 without upgrading the baseband (mine's 05.13.04) which frankly scares me. I've also seen threads where they managed to use limera1n on 4.0.2. So now... what to do what to do
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Oh sh*t didn't realise you were on 4.0.2. You can use sn0wbreeze to update to 4.1 on a custom firmware, which preserves your baseband so you can unlock still. The only thing is, because you have an iphone 3gs, sn0wbreeze will only work if it is an old bootrom. To find out if you have an old bootrom or not, download idetector from here : http://www.[PIRACY.mf].com/?ayitzfmma4l