iPhone 3GS Iphone 3GS with AT&T question. Please Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carri07, Jul 21, 2009.

1. carri07

carri07 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ok first off, I have tmobile and i want the iphone 3GS. However.. instead of looking to those high unlocked iphone prices in ebay and such, i decided to go talk to my uncle who has at&t. What we came up with our talk, is that he has the iphone 3gs right now, and he could say that his iphone fell into a river or something, and obviously he needs a new phone. So how he still wants to have the same iphone 3gs so he buys another one with AT&T and he gives me th eold one and i unlock it for tmobile. Now i have only 2 questions:

1) Will he have to get a new line to get a new iphone3GS? or since he "lost it" they can work something out while still maintaining his number?

2)If we do this succesfully, since he reported it as lost, and they blocked the phone to stop making calls, will anything happen when i turn it on and perform the unlocking for t mobile like for example, at&t knows its been turned on or soemthign?

Thanks
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If he "looses" it, he'll be out $700-$800, whatever the retail price is. AT&T won't give him the subsidized $199. Just knowing that should be enough for you to go with the ebay thing instead.
  3. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    well.. He will have to pay full price for a new one which is like 600 - 700 i think so .. getting an unlocked one is just easier
  4. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He will have to pay full price for it. If he reports it lost or stolen AT&T will blacklist the phones IMEI number meaning you cant use the phone one any network in the US.
  5. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah so ... Dont go that route!
  6. 3gsreviewer

3gsreviewer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    yep! If you're looking to buy for $200-$300, get a 3G off of craigslist and unlock it
  7. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ahmen to that

Please Register or Log in to view images

hahaha