iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS - Water Damage help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walden3011, Jul 7, 2009.

1. walden3011

walden3011 New Member

I was applying a Bodyguardz film around my new iPhone 3GS and apparently a bit too much water got in it from the application solution. I'm very mad that this happened..

So far, it can turn on and I can still slide and stuff.
    However,
    The backlight is "dead" and the speakers are weaker. (The screen works, but it's just really dark)
    The indicator on the headphone jack is still white but is red on the dock connector.

I have dried it completely from the outside and it is currently in a bag of rice which is supposed to help dry it out. What should I do?

The way I see it, it can turn back on and fully function in 5 days when I try to use it again.

Or, ..?
    This is where I am stuck. I am only 16 years old and my parents are pissed obviously because it is a new iPhone 3GS. I don't know what I should do.

I know the warranty does not cover water damage, and the indicator is already red on the bottom.

I have heard decent stories from people with the same problem who go into the Apple Store honestly and just tell the truth, and they get replacements or refurbished ones. I'm only 16, and can shell out maybe $200 or so if I had to.

If it does not work, I plan on maybe sending it to a repair service or just telling the Apple Store the truth about the Bodyguardz situation and how some water got in it.

I'm also wondering, I have only owned the iPhone for less than 30 days, so is there any policy that would let me return it even though there is water damage? If I cannot get a replacement, how much would it cost for Apple to repair or replace it?

- Please, read the whole story and try to answer my questions and give me some options as to what should I do.. Thanks in advance guys..

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    with water damage i think you are pretty much screwed.. the first thing a genius would do would be to check the moisture indicators.
  3. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If the pH paper is Pink, then apple can tell that it has come in contact with water, and won't replace it. Although, people have said you can put a dab of white spirit (alcohol) on a Q-Tip and rub it against the pH paper to turn it back to normal. That's your only hope really.
  4. walden3011

walden3011 New Member

It's in the dock connector part on the bottom, and even if I did get it to turn white, what would I do at that point? Get a free replacement? And there are indicators inside the phone, so could I even trick them?

- Would also like answers to original questions too please
  5. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You probably won't be able to pay for repairs. You will probably have to buy a brand new one. And if you turned it white, go to an apple store and try to get it replaced.
  6. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    if you have had it for less than 28 days they should do a straight shop in the shop, when i replaced my 3GS they didnt even look at the indicators, the didnt actually check anything, i just told them it was faulty and they gave me the last phone in the store lol...

this is UK though, im not sure about returns policy in the US, when you take it back though, just tell em that you will not leave the store without a working iphone, companies always hate to piss off customers (actually from what i've heard AT&T seem to take pleasure from annoying their loyal customers...)
  7. walden3011

walden3011 New Member

Ok, if I bring my iPhone to the Apple Store, do I just bring the iPhone or the box as well?
  8. coop777

coop777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    phone - and cross your fingers...I know I'd be pissed...