iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS unlocking, old Bootrom

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prInZ, Dec 16, 2009.

1. prInZ

prInZ Member

Hey Guys,

i've one question and tried to google a qualified answer without luck.So i got a iPhone 3GS manufactured in August 09' (so old bootrom) if im going to Jailbreak it ( i already have..

Please Register or Log in to view images

) does it mean i will always have the possibility to jailbreak AND unlock the phone? Lets say the next update is released, im a total noob and going to update my firmware and itunes is updating the baseband. So now im stucked and my phone would be locked, but due to the security hole inside the bootrom i would be able to downgrad to 3.1.2 so far so good but will i also have the opportunity to downgrade the baseband anyway?

to sum up: Is the baseband directly affected by the security hole inside the bootrom? am i always be able to downgrade the baseband?

regards
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There's no method for downgrading your baseband. Even if you downgrade your firmware your baseband will remain at the newer one.
  3. prInZ

prInZ Member

Ok, i thought so. But the question is, is the Baseband maybe affected by the hole inside the bootrom of the iPhone? Cause its the bootrom and not the firmware which is used to jailbreak and unlock at the moment. So i thought if there is a exploit which is using the bootrom man should be able to downgrade the baseband anyway due of the full control of the device after using the exploit?

Sure, none of the tools out there is able to downgrade a Baseband which isnt released yet. But my question is: give this bootrom exploit the dev team or geohot or someone else the opportunity to downgrade a baseband even if there is no specific hole found in the new one ?

regards
  4. beefstrudel

beefstrudel Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    the baseband is a seperate machine inside the iPhone. It's like the DSL or Cable modem to your computer. You can have root access on the iPhone and change all you want on that device but the baseband has its own security and a hole would have to be found in the baseband in order to hack that particular part of the device.
    Make since?