iPhone 3GS iphone 3gs thinks headset is plugged in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touch owner in AL, Aug 8, 2009.

1. touch owner in AL

touch owner in AL Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My wife's phone was being weird. She tried to make a call, but couldn't hear anything. I asked her if the volume was turned down, and i grabbed it and made a call to our house, then pressed the volume up. It said headphones above the volume bar. No headphones were plugged in though. So I looked around in her settings, and they were identical to mine on all the sound and phone settings. I made another call, and hit the speaker button, and that seemed to clear it. But it is still on speaker phone mode and not on regular mode. If I switch it back to normal, it still thinks headphones are in. I tried the reboot by holding down power and home, but it still does it. Do I need to restore it, or is there some setting I'm missing?
  2. 5o-Pimp

5o-Pimp Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This sounds very weird, but try restoring and see if that sorts out the problem?
    If not, i would say try taking it to a apple store and see if they can help you..
  3. dean11

dean11 New Member

This is a common problem and is usually caused by lint and other junk getting caught in the headphone port. Try getting a paperclip to clean it out.
  4. touch owner in AL

touch owner in AL Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I hooked it up this weekend to update to 3.0.1 and that seemed to fix it. As soon as it was done updating and I finished syncing it, I disconnected it and made a call and it worked just fine. Probably just needed to be reset.
  5. Salmanius

Salmanius Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ive had that with my Ipod touch 2g. I was able to fix it by putting the headphones back in, messing with the volume then taking them back out.
  6. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    try plugging in and unplugging the hedst

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. eLBr0oKeR

eLBr0oKeR New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I once had this problem with my laptop, it thought the headphones were plugged in. Have some music playing or something, and repeatedly plug and unplug the headphones until it starts working again.