iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS: Terrible Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wearmaize, Sep 13, 2009.

1. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    My iPhone 3GS has terrible battery life. I got it 5 days ago, and merely checking a couple of sports scores drops the battery down like 5%. I'm completely unjailbroken, and when I say "checking sports scores" I mean going to ESPN for 10 minutes after the phone had been fully charged. I have it hooked up to the computer now for the 3.1 update and I hope that helps some. Otherwise, the iPhone barely makes it through an entire day of work.

Yes, I have 3G off.
    Yes, I have bluetooth off.
    No, I'm not playing games, music, or video
    It just sucks.

I'll update this if the 3.1 update magically changes something.
  2. masterp0606

masterp0606 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Do you have email on? If you do turn off push notifications and put it on fetch every hour or so to save some battery life. Also turn down your brightness.
  3. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It might just be a defect, i would send it in or go to an apple store if i were you
  4. Nevadadrifter

Nevadadrifter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Something that also helps immensely IMO, is to let the battery drain all the way down during the first couple of charge cycles. I just picked up my 3GS this week, and was appalled at the battery life from the first full charge. I barely made it through a 12 hour shift at work. I let it die completely, charged it back to full, and have repeated the cycle several times since. I am currently 11 hours into my 12 hours shift and am sitting at 60% charge, and that's after streaming XM radio for the last hour and a half.
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well, I updated to 3.1 and did one thing that I think helped tremendously. When I upgraded to 3.1, I made sure that the iPhone was plugged in for a few more hours after the update completed. Today I used the phone and had 85% battery at the end of the day. Much better.
  6. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well, I'm not sure what's wrong, but my battery life is abysmal again.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I can't browse the internet on wifi for a few minutes without the battery life beginning to drop: 97%...96%... it's a percent every couple of minutes. My original iPhone? The battery life is full for at least an hour on wifi. The only difference is that the 3G S is connected to AT&T's EDGE network. I've looked online and seen hundreds of other people with this problem and no solution. So to all prospective iPhone 3G S buyers: wait until the battery life improves.
  7. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Have you called Apple?

They might replace it for you.

I have my brightness really low. I also turned Push off for Mail, and set it to 15 minutes.
    I also have Edge on, as you said. The battery lasts a decent amount of time.
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It might be your brightness, or something else that's draining your battery. Check everything that turned on in your iPod, and turn it all off. See how long the battery lasts after doing that.
  9. mrgas2004

mrgas2004 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Its replaceable, take to the apple store and they will exchange it for free...
  10. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Refurbished or new?