iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS SMS backup problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dragon821, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Dragon821

Dragon821 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey all,

A few weeks ago I posted a number of questions regarding jailbreaking the latest 64GB iPod Touch. Since then I've given that device to my brother in order to get myself a new contract deal on the iPhone 3GS.

When jailbreaking, blackra1n didn't seem to work the first few times, however on the third or fourth attempt after restoring the device completely, it was successful. Since then I've had no real jailbreaking problems, all the apps run fine and I haven't lost anything.

However, I'm interested in backing up my messages. I understood that could be done via two programs: DiskAid, or Tansee iPhone Transfer.

Both programs don't seem to read my iPhone properly. DiskAid only lets me view some of the files, telling me that my device needs to be jailbroken in order to view the root partition. That's a bother because the sms.db file is included in the rute partition! I tried out the Tansee program, but that just says that there is no iPhone plugged in. However, iTunes reads the device fine, and everything else is fully functional, of that I'm sure.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and/or have a fix for it? I'm completely out of ideas. I've tried un-jailbreaking and re-jailbreaking, even turning off the phone and re-running blackra1n. Any help would be appreciated!

Sorry for the massive essay, I sometimes think if I mention absolutely everything then it'll make it easier for someone to find a fix! Thanks in advance

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. jaswork

jaswork New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi I think you need to add afc2 or something like that with cydia for full access. I used a program called phoneview to backup all my messages, music and everything before i restored. Its an osx app, theres plenty that'l do it on windows though. Good luck
  3. Dragon821

Dragon821 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

Thanks a bunch, this worked

Please Register or Log in to view images

DiskAid is now reading my device, as for the dodgy SMS transfer software that doesn't work still but I think I'll just back up through DiskAid now.
  4. pandaa

pandaa Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What the..
  5. mobiduct

mobiduct New Member

sms transfer solutions

Hi,

In case you still need a solution to backup your iPhone sms: I started listing available products on www.mobiduct.com.

I would also welcome other people'e experiences with such tools. There is lots of advertisement on the web, but objective user-reviews seem to be scarce.

regards,
    Klaas.
  6. mikeread

mikeread New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    In order create successful iPhone backup, it is always recommended to use a powerful third party iphone transfer tool which could easily transfer all kind of iPhone data to your System very safely.
  7. Herson

Herson Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Backing up your message so you could re-read it? or just backing up so when you restore your iphone it goes back to your iphone?