iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS questions. thinkin of getting one soon.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arikado, Jul 13, 2009.

1. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1) Is the heating issue very apparent? Does it happen frequently for you guys so much that its a problem?

2) How good is the battery life for you guys?
    Say I use it a day on a full charge (no 3g, 1/4 brightness, wi-fi for about an hour or two):
    music- 1 hour
    games- 30 minutes
    phone- 1 hour
    miscellanous (surfing, apps, etc) - 1 hour
    How much battery power would I have left at the end of the day?

3) Can I still unlock & jailbreak the current iphones in stock now? Is it diffiicult?

Thanks.
  2. Clusterfunk

Clusterfunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1) I've never had it overheat, but it does get pretty warm after using it for a while.

2) Battery life is not as great as I had expected, but it's still good considering. I can't compare it with my old 3G, because I don't have it any more. The battery will last all day with pretty frequent use, but going in and out of Cydia and installing and removing packages (which I do alot) will kill the battery pretty quick (still about 8-10 hours if you only use cydia for maybe 45-50 minutes total). Remind you that this is merely a guess, and I have nothing to back it up. The battery life is probably much better than I'm describing.

3) AS LONG AS THE iPHONE YOU GET HAS 3.0 (not 3.1, etc.), you should be solid. Simply enter the ECID (which you can find easily) into www.Purplera1n.com and save the file, and you will always be able to jailbreak. As far as ease, the Purplera1n jailbreak is REALLY easy. Much easier than Redsn0w or anything. Simply plug in the iPhone, click "make it ra1n" and let it do its thing, JUST HAVE ITUNES OPEN WHEN YOU DO IT. For some reason, my iPhone wouldn't jailbreak successfully until I tried it with iTunes open. Weird.
    Unlocking is a little more complicated, but Geohot (maker of Purplera1n and the original iPhone 2G unlock) released his 3GS unlock which he claims is running smoothly called Purplesn0w.

In summary, if you want to jailbreak, ever, GET AN IPHONE. DO IT NOW!
  3. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Awesome. Thanks for the quick and clear answers!

I'm just worried about the heating issue.. If I were to have a case (any case, preferably a nice thinner but durable one), would it cause more harm for heating or benefit more or neutral (still the same)?

The battery issue is alright, since i might probably have it conntected to itunes everynight for syncing when i get home anyway.. plus I'm only out for about 5-6 hours tops, epsecially since my next semester school schedule's daily span is about 5 hours only

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My bat life is fine, i use push, location and 3g on all the time. The only thing is, they rattle when you tap the apple logo at the back. Mine did, took it back to apple, got a new one, it still rattled, then me and the guy went down to all the iphones on display and they all rattled. Some don't rattle though, but all the ones i tried did (8 including my old and new one). I read its due to either the auto-focus or the compass inside, but they dont rettle when shook, they only rattle when they are tapped near the apple logo.

But the guy still gave me a new iphone lol, even though my old one wasnt broken.
  5. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for your input Spartigus

Please Register or Log in to view images

just curious, how does tapping the apple logo cause a rattle O___O isnt that a serious issue for apple? Or was it just coincidental that you got 2 iphones with the rattle?

Also, everyone with a iphone 3gs and a case, can you guys tell me if heating is an issue for you guys (like examples such as playing games, etc)?
  6. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you google "iphone 3gs rattle", you will see more info, its the auto focus. I saw first hand 8 (my 2, and the 6 display ones) other 3GS' that had the rattle.
  7. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I've heard from a lot of different people now that it's the auto focus, but mine's the ring/vibrate toggle on the side. Strange.
  8. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    is any of the issues a a big deal to the point that it really is a problem, rather than a 'meh'
    -heating issue
    -battery life
    -back rattle
  9. Wilfred

Wilfred New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1. The heating issue is common with most phones out there. The iPhone gets a bit warm and that's about it. Let it cool if you must.

2. The battery life is definitely much better on the 3GS. Should last you 2-3 days before you'll need a recharge.

3. All iPhones running the current 3.0 firmware may be jailbroken. To jailbreak future versions of the phone...let's just say you'd better get it now!