iPhone 3GS iPhone 3GS problem ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wassim.M, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Wassim.M

Wassim.M New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello,
    I bought an iPhone 3GS from Canada and I knew that I have to jailbreak it with redsn0w and then download the ultrasn0w from Cydia to make it work with Orange.

but apparently, the iPhone came with 3.1 firmware , and I cant downgrade the 3.1 to 3.0 ...

1)so is there a way to jailbreak the iPhone 3GS 3.1? and unlock it ?
    2)is there a way to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Currently there is no jailbreak for 3.1. Chronic Dev are working on the greenpois0n exploit that should do the trick and that could be out any time in the next few weeks to months depending on whether they hit any snags.

However, even when a jailbreak is released the baseband has been updated on 3.1 and so far there's been no news of a new exploit to downgrade this new baseband. It may be that there isn't an exploit and it can't be downgraded.

Unfortunately you're stuck until both a jailbreak and baseband downgrade for 3.1 are released, though there's even a possibility the latter may never even come.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  3. Wassim.M

Wassim.M New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    what is baseband ?

Do you think so ?
    even that all the 3GSs are sold with 3.1 and thousands of people are buying it without the option to jailbreak it and unlock it ?

and do someone know if the DEV team are working on the option to jailbreak and unlock the 3GS 3.1?

Thanks
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    To my knowledge the only security hole found in 3.1 so far is the one Chronic Dev's greenpois0n exploit will be based on. The Dev Team haven't got this hole and have no hole of their own to exploit as yet, as far as I know. The Dev Team's probably working on the 3.1 iPhone unlock anyway as that's where they generally focus, though as yet there has been no news on this.

The key for you will be to make sure you back up your 3GS 3.1OS sigs through Cydia when a jailbreak appears, as this will allow you to downgrade back to 3.1 in the future should anything go wrong (Apple are now signing the ipt3G and 3GS firmwares and won't be supporting the signing of superseded firmwares so any restore will automatically put you at the latest firmware).

Then keep your fingers crossed for an unlock... it all depends on one of the teams finding a hole in the baseband packaged with the 3.1OS and building an exploit to unlock it.
  5. Wassim.M

Wassim.M New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I found this website , it tells that they have a program that unlock every iPhone including the 3.1

http://iphone.unlock.no/

any body knows this website/program ?!

thanks
  6. Geo411m

Geo411m Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Looks like a scam site to me. They're probably waiting on the dev-team/chronic-devs to release a jailbreak to make their money. Just wait on one of those teams and if you need an unlock you should consider getting a factory unlocked. They cost more upfront but you can always sell it for more later on recouping most of your cost.